summer surgeries??

wannalosewt
on 4/3/11 3:30 am - Norman, OK
VSG on 03/08/10 with
I am getting a TT, Lipo, and BA on April 21st. I know we are supposed to wear compression 24/7. I have kiddos and we will definately be at the pool once memorial day hits. What do I do then? How do you wear a compression garment with a bathing suit?? Haha. May sound funny, but I am serious. Can I not swim bc I need it on? Just a question. We love the pool!!

CAMom
on 4/3/11 5:24 am
I am having a summer surgery as well, 6-20! All I know is that it is gonna be HOT with that thing on all the time... but I know it is worth it. I am going to get all my swimming in before I have surgery!

I know we can't go swinning for a couple weeks (not sure exactly how long, probably til incisions are completelly scabbed over and healing). I would say after you are cleared by your doc to go swimming.., wear it over your swinmsuit and remove it when you go in the water... and put it back on when you are just lying out. Make sure to cover incisions from the sun as well! Prob best to ask your doc but that is proably what I would do.
Sleeved 3-4-2010 SW: 205 CW: 130ish Height: 5'6" Goal: ACHIEVED!
Plastics on 6-20-2011 with Dr. Lara - TT, BA, BL & Lipo :)

christine G.
on 4/4/11 12:53 am, edited 4/4/11 12:53 am
Hey!  Depending on surgeon protocol the amount of time in compression varies'; post-op you will figure out what you need.  My surgeon didn't even have me in a binder immediately post LBL  I got one about a week after surgery.  He suggests I continue to wear it for the next several weeks to help with the swelling but said I don't have to be religious about it.  For my upper body he never had me in compression he didn't feel it made much of a difference in swelling and said i could try it if I'd like- or not. 

If you do need to be in a compression garment constantly you could wear it under your suit but it might be irritating to the skin being wet against it for a prolonged period of time- or if it is an option for you, you might be able to go without the compression garment for a few hours while near the pool and just put it on when you're done.   Also harsh pool chemicals will be damaging to the elastic fibers in your compression garment, much like bleach so keep that in mind- if you're going to be wearing it in the water i would def. recommend having at least two so you could keep one for swimming only.

Make sure you're cleared for the pool/beach before going in though- you'll need to be completely healed, chlorine etc. would not be good on an unhealed incision.  And most surgeons suggest keeping any incisions out of the sun the first year post-op to avoid hyper pigmentation. 

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!

Christine

Breast Lift/Brachioplasty January 18, 2011
Lower Body Lift March 3, 2011
Inner Thigh Lipo/Lift May 4, 2011 

vanish
on 4/4/11 10:39 pm - MN
Really good question!  I am doing TT, BL and BA on April 25th!  I know after RNY I was not allowed in the pool for 6 wks after to let the incisions heal and those were a lot smaller.  I too worry about walking around in a binder in humid June weather!  I bought a well padded swim suit top (yes I bought a bikini top! LOL) so that they incisions don't get any sun exposure. I don't want them to darken up!

The very best of luck.  Let me know how you are doing!

Tess
 RNY 12/28/09 

Most Active