tummy tuck/brachio advice needed

lwillis22
on 4/19/11 10:16 am
Hi Everyone,
  I am scheduled to have a hernia repair, tummy tuck and arms done on may 27th.  I am so excited and nervous all at the same time as I am sure many of you can relate.  My question to everyone is what should I expect?  I am really completely unsure what to expect or what I should be doing to prepare for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Lori

siberiancat
on 4/20/11 3:02 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I don't have any advice.  I just had appointment for surgical clearance yesterday, labs, EKG & chest xray done today.  I'm also having brachio and tummy tuck - don't have date yet.  PS needed the surgical clearance first.

He did tell me I would have to stop supplements and anything with herbs one week prior to surgery.

I will be awaiting answers to your post.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

godzilla
on 4/20/11 3:50 am - Israel
Hijack!
I'm still waiting to be resceduled.
The doctors strike here in israel is "on strike" until after the Passover holiday and thus my op has been postponed. I already signed both the forms - anesthesia and the op.
All I'm waiting for now is the new op date.
Aaaargh!
Mikimi in Israel

Jupiter6
on 4/20/11 4:13 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I had those all done at once as well, plus a breast lift. Be prepared to be completely physically incapacitated for a couple weeks-- with no arms to move you and no core to lift
with, even sitting up is almost impossible alone.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

lwillis22
on 4/20/11 7:20 am
Wow....really? Tell me more about your process please.

Jupiter6
on 4/20/11 8:28 am, edited 4/20/11 8:32 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Really. I also had my breasts lifted. The breasts were really no problem at all, from go-- a walk in the park.

The hernia/abdominoplasty was intense and involved and I lost my belly button in that battle. I told him if that happened not to bother reconstructing it-- which ended up being just as well because the procedure was well over 12 hours without it-- which is a seriously long frackin' time to be on the table. That "time on table" did a lot to complicate my health post-operatively-- it's really a whole lotta surgery for one smallish person, apparently.

Post op, I could not sit up alone for well over two weeks. I had an adjustable hospital bed to lift me and a very devoted nurse named Mom. You can neither use your arms to push or pull yourself up nor your gut muscles, and if you have drains in a while (and you will) it's that much more challenging. The pain is pretty intense, but then I also had an open gut surgery the year before so I suspect the scar tissue was pretty intense as well. You will likely wear a compression girdle for several weeks (although I did n'ot, and my surgeon didn't ask me to-- it was ill fitting as I swelled pretty harshly in my backside.)

Most docs will have you in a compression garment for your arms that's hell to get on alone. In my case, I preferred wrapping with ace bandaging-- the seams in my compression garment fell right on my suture line which was uncomfortable.

On the safe side, I would make sure you have 24 hour care for a week, and someone very close by thereafter.

Anything else I can answer, just ask! It was all very worthwhile, I just have to caution people not to do too much at once, even though it's *financially tempting."

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

NursieGirl
on 4/20/11 9:30 am
Holy crap!

...sorry, I just didn't have anything more eloquent to say.  That's very scary to me!  I'm not having a hernia repair or a brachio, but I AM having breast lift and Brazilian butt-lift, and apparently he wants to do a load of liposculpture and muscle tightening and stuff too (just for kicks?  I'm not paying for it!), and I am a terrible healer!  After my sleeve, I felt like absolute doo-doo for at least five weeks.  To complicate matters, I'm having this done in Mexico, and flying home a few days later.  Oh goodie.

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 11:06 am
First go back and read old posts - lots of info. As people heal from surgery they stop posting here; good information and experience gets lost.

I didn't have any of the problems (ouch) Jupiter had, thank goodness. I was in the OR sedated for 6 hours and that may have been part of the difference for my good experience. In addition I didn't have WLS. I ate a very nutritious diet to shed my weight; I wasn't depleted or battling anemia etc. I had a LBL with large hernia repair and auto augmentation as well as an arm lift with benign tumor removed. I was in the hospital for two days post op. That first day I was sleepy/dopey from the anesthesia and on a morphine drip. I pushed the morphine drip when the nurse or aide came in to remind me to do so in preparation for getting out of bed or walking. The morphine caused nausea and dizziness every time I got up so I was happy when they removed the pump. I had the same reaction with pills given to replace the morphine so I only took two. Didn't need any more medication as the pain/discomfort was tolerable and easier to deal with than side effects of medication. I was up walking the corridors a couple of times beginning from the first day post-op without any problems although slightly bent over following Dr.s orders to walk that way for the first few days post-op. I did need a little help for the first few days to get in and out of bed - but mostly I was able to use my legs to compensate for abdominal muscles to some degree. The worst pain was the hernia repair itself - not going to lie, it hurts like heck when you use those muscles - coughing was the worst. However if you allow yourself to relax then the pain dulls down you don't feel it. I never experienced pain with the arm lift or LBL because the hernia drew all my attention. I was prepared to take pain medication, you know the drill - take the pills early before the pain builds out of control and I'm sure you will do this if you need to take them. Get the Rx filled ahead of time so they are waiting for you when you are released from the hospital. Also take something to avoid constipation post-op.

I had no problems post-op sitting on the toilet or going up and down stairs or in and out of the car. After about 5 days I could get myself in and out of bed without help and at that point was completely independent except for taking showers. My first shower caused me to be extremely tired and weak which shocked me since I felt so good going into the shower. I was prepared for this and had a chair nearby. I only had this experience the first time but DH was concerned enough that he helped me shower for the first wee****il it was clear that was a one time only event. I also needed his help to put my arm compression on after the showers, I could do my abdominal binder myself.

Some people buy or rent: 1)shower chairs - I didn't - but I had a comfortable chair in my bathroom; 2) raised seat for their toilet - I didn't need one; 3) Lazy boy type lounge chairs - I didn't. I used lots of pillows that I had around the house and found those more comfortable because they are more adjustable than a chair (you need to sleep and rest in a lounge chair position for a few days post-op). I preferred to sleep in my bed upstairs with my DH rather than on a rented chair in my family room.

I got a very soft and long cotton Lycra tank top from Target to wear under my binder to protect my skin. Because of the Lycra I was able to place my bandages up against the wound without tape; the tension of the tank top held them in place while I put the binder over them. Read back old posts to see the various compression garments people have chosen.

I was up and out of the house walking a couple of days post-op and back walking in the mall a week later - at a much slower pace than normal but still going the same distance (3-5 miles). I hid my drains in my pants under a long boy friend type sweater. By 6.5 weeks I was shoveling snow like a mad man thanks to Mother nature and amazed at how my arms didn't hurt and my endurance. By then my hernia repair muscles began to feel normal.

Eat well - lots of fruit and veggies to prepare - everyone says to eat more protein but you've been eating tons of protein and very little fruit and veggies - and not all the phyconutrients in them have been identified and not all of them in your vitamin pills.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Most Active