1st plastics consult

ashleynicole86
on 4/26/11 8:51 am, edited 4/26/11 8:52 am - SC
So I went to my very first plastic surgery consultation today.  If I decide to go with this plastic surgeron, he said he would do a brachioplasty & mastoplexy together (implants would come later), the lower body lift alone and the thighplasty alone.  Did anyone else have this recommendation?  I'm still a bit confused as to why the implant would be done later?  There was just a lot of information to absorb, so I'll probably call back to inquire more about that.  Does anyone have any input on why the implants would happen after the lift and if your surgeon said the same thing?
Laura in Texas
on 4/26/11 11:24 am
Many surgeons do this now.  For those of us with long folds, it is better to wait for the implants so they stay up higher.  I know Dr. LoMonaco, who posts here a lot, does this.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

paranoidmother21
on 4/26/11 11:45 am - Lake Zurich, IL
My guys also said they would do brachio and lift/reduction first, implants (if I wanted them at that point) later.

Their reasoning was that with a mastoplexy you are cutting out and tightening the skin. With an implant you are stretching the skin. They stated that they've found that the combination of tightening and stretching at the same time may leave you lopsided once you're done healing. They also said that the implant scars would be hidden in my mastoplexy scars and be VERY small, so that they would not be noticeable.

I did decide, based on how I wound up after the first round, to not do implants.

They did to the thighs alone, and I've been very grateful! They have been the most painful and the most trouble, and I would have been in really big trouble if I'd been unable to use my abs and arms to get me up and out of chairs after surgery!

LBL/anchor was done at the same time as brachio/breasts, but because they work as a team (2 surgeons and 3-5 assistants) all of that was 5 hours of anesthesia, rather than the 7-10 I was quoted elsewhere. If it had been one surgeon, mine would have been 3 rounds rather than 2 as well.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

nduffield
on 4/26/11 12:07 pm, edited 4/26/11 12:07 pm - TX
 Yep, I just went for a 4th consultation and this Dr. was the only one that doesn't recommend them together, and said the same as the previous posters that it's best to lift and let settle, than add implants.  Sucks, because he said I literally have no volume left, so after my lift I will look like a boy for about 3-4 months.  So, what he plans on doing is my tummy tuck, breast lift and then next would be my arm lift and implants.  I am ok with 2 stages, just prefer getting implants with the lift but I guess he knows best!  I know it does get frustrating because we have gone so long looking like aliens--being large and now having skin and it would just feel awesome to have it done at once, but I would rather be safe and also want the results I have been dreaming of for so long.  Don't be surprised if every surgeon that you see says completely different things..that's whats going on with me and boy is it confusing and frustrating..just do your homework and follow your instincts.  Good luck, you look lovely by the way!!  

ashleynicole86
on 4/28/11 11:07 am - SC
Thanks to all that replied! I see now why the surgeon would recommend doing the implants later.  Makes sense!

I think what l I need to worry about now is deciding on what I want to start with and how to afford it. This surgeon also recommended that I lose more weight in my thighs before proceeding with a inner thigh lift.  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to achieve that since I've always held  most of my weight in my lower part even after losing 100+ lbs.
Jody ***
on 4/28/11 11:28 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Now - my Dr did both the lift and implants at the same time. 

I did ask him about doing it in 2 stages.  He said some people need it done that way, some don't and I didn't.  Has to do with the elasticity of the skin. 

Ask if the implant is going under or over the muscle.  Because mine was under it wasn't going to be as big of an issue - BUT - he did take a lot of skin off... I had a birth mark that was almost under my breast, now its right next to my nipple... imagine that!!

Dr's do know best...

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

paranoidmother21
on 4/30/11 8:04 am - Lake Zurich, IL
LOL!  Jody, I used to have a dragon tattoo on my left breast.  He was a pretty little thing, about 3x3 inches, with a slightly larger castle and sunset behind him, so the total was about 5x4 inches.

All that's left is two tiny dots, one at the edge of my nipple near the top, and one just next to the lollipop scar about halfway down the bottom of my breast.  I can't imagine how much skin they took off - and I still have a large C/small D!  Yeeks!

(the dots will go away this summer in an office procedure... unless I continue to think it's funny having them there.  Yes, I can be weird about stuff like that).
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Crazeru
on 4/30/11 5:03 am
I had an LBL, BL, arms and small upper thigh lift done at one time.  I didn't need implants.  I wanted it all done at one time and Dr Sauceda does a fantastic job.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active