Abdominal scar tissue issues with further surgeries?

OregonGal
on 5/28/11 5:07 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi ~
I'm almost 6 years post open RNY and almost 6 months post extended TT/hernia repair.  I've had an adrenal tumor slowly growing that I need to have removed, along with the gland, sooner than later, per the surgeon I just met with last week.  I really want my thighs done at the same time - and it could happen, he says, IF there is not too much scar tissue from the open RNY to do the adrenalectomy lap, instead of open.  He says theres a 50-50 chance of being able to do it lap, but won't know until he gets in there.  Sooo, it sounds like I'm heading to surgery, not sure if I''ll wake up with just an open adrenalectomy or also the thigh lift.  Has anyone out there had experience with scar tissue being an issue for further abdominal surgeries?  Besides the TT, hernia repair at the old open RNY site, I've also had a c-section and lap gallbladder removal many years ago.  I sure would like them to be able to do both procedures at the same time - one recovery, thousands of dollars less to combine the two.  I hate the thought of another open incision - so much more painful for me and a longer recovery, due to fibro.  I may be asking for trouble to have my thighs done at the same time, but with all the weight loss, they look so bad, skin hanging to my knees, and swimming is my exercise.

Any input appreciated!

Anne

rtempes
on 6/1/11 4:06 am
 Anne, I had an open cholecystectomy (Gallbladder) in 1987.  Before my PS did my lower abdominal body lift, he did a "delayed procedure".  Best as I can explain, open GB disrupted normal blood supply to that area.  He went in through a 3" incision in lower rt abd and elevated the tissue (lifted up) and this someone encourages more collateral blood circulation.  The other procedure had to be done within 3-8 weeks afterward.  Too soon and there's no new blood flow; too much later and the benefit is gone.  This is my best understanding.  I could find NOTHING on line about this procedure.  But you had lap chole so that's not the same.  Not sure about the other stuff.  Hope this helps.
Rebecca
OregonGal
on 6/1/11 4:38 am - Beaverton, OR
Thanks, Rebecca, for your reply.  So to understand, it sounds like your PS went in and prepared for the lift weeks before you had it done?  So in my case, if they went in and found that there was too much scar tissue for the adrenal lap, they could possibly prepare the tissue, with me returning several weeks later, for the procedures?  Interesting - did your insurance cover this delayed procedure?  Thanks for the info,
Anne

rtempes
on 6/1/11 5:20 am
I'm not certain it was the scar tissue as much as the disruption in circulation; I'm guessing certain veins had to be cauterized.  Of course, insurance covered nothing as th reason for the procedure was purely elective.  Might I ask what state you live in?  If it's Fl., I'd be glad to give you the office number; they might be able to answer your questions.
Reb 
Most Active