What to have at home postop?

Beckstar
on 6/20/11 7:03 am
Hey Everyone,
I am having an extended tummy tuck and pubis (mons area) done on Wednesday!  I am soooo excited and am just getting everything put together for when I come home.  I live by myself in a studio apartment but have a friend to stay with me the first 24 hours post op as required by the surgeon (it's an outpatient procedure).  After that I'll be pretty much on my own.  I made sure to get groceries, the Rx filled (antibiotic and pain killer) as well as stool softener to take with the narcotic to avoid any bm issues. 
Groceries-wise I have non fat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs (both raw and hardboiled), salad stuff, cold cut turkey, typical eats but on the softer side just in case.  Any suggestions as to anything else I should have here food or otherwise?  I really don't have any food aversions (I had RNY on 6/17/09) nor any problems with getting full or stuck (quite the opposite).  I have a lazy boy type recliner that the surgeon said is good.  He provides the binder and at a later time some type of compression garment when needed.
So all this rambling for a simple question of --- what do you suggest to have at home for post op tummy tuck????  Thanks!
Beck
ilse72
on 6/20/11 7:23 am - AL
Beck, I wll be paying attention to the answers you get as I am going to have a TT and BA in 11 days.  Like you, I will be alone shortly after surgery as my hubby works out of state.  I know one thing I did get was dry shampoo.  I can't shower until the drain is removed and I am sure bending over a sink to do my hair won't be possible.  :)

I also bought 2 wrap dresses.  They are very forgiving so will accomodate swelling and the compression garments not to mention being very easy to put on!  I got them on eBay so that I didn't spend a fortune for something I might not wear after recovery.

Like you, I have all the easy to do, high protein foods, a recliner, compression garments and meds ready to go.

Good luck on your surgery and may you have a easy, speedy recovery!

Height 5'1"  ~~~   Current weight 98 pounds.
Surgeon's goal 118 pounds (met March 18, 2009). 
My goal 105 pounds, met July 15, 2009.
avidreader
on 6/20/11 7:53 am - Cary, NC
I had the same thing done on March 8 - I had a recliner but it was too tight for me to open and close by myself so I slept in the bed with my back propped up - so I needed (and did not have to begin with) a donut pillow to rest my rear on - I almost got bedsores.  Actually, I would have loved a walker for the first week or so, but it's not necessary.  Have plenty of pillows handy , they do help.  Baby wipes were very helpful, too.  I also had one of the grabber things to help me pick up and reach things.  I also found gowns better for me, with the drains, than anything to pull up.

My surgery  was outpatient, too, and I came home with a catather for 24 hours.  I did fine with the surgery being outpatient - just keep your pain killers on board if you need them.  You really may want to see if your friend can stay a little longer - I certainly needed my husband to help me move, get up and down, etc for the first several days.

To be honest, I was so tight from the surgery that I could hardly eat solid food.  I lived on protein drinks and protein coffee for the most part for several weeks.  When I did eat solids it was greek yogurt and cottage cheese and it did not take much to fill me up.  As far as eating was concerned it was like when I first had the RNY.

Good luck!!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Most Active