swollen hands

magicshadow148
on 6/22/11 11:06 pm - VA
I had my breast lift and arms down about almost 2 1/2 wks ago. I'm having a lot of swelling in my hands does anyone know anything to help bring my hands back from elephant world?
*´¨♥)  ¸.· ´¸ ;.·*´¨♥)¸. ·*¨♥)  ♥(¸.·´ ♥(¸.·' ♥ Abby ♥
NursieGirl
on 6/23/11 1:39 am
My hands were swollen for about a week after my breast lift.  Try to keep your hands elevated above the level of your heart, and you can also give yourself some gentle hand massage to promote venous drainage

redbedhead
on 6/23/11 2:26 am - Colorado Springs, CO
My hands swell up really bad whenever I have an arthritis flair.  This always works to get the swelling down for me.  (I know the swelling is not from the same cause, but the same basic movements should help anyway). Flex your fingers and wrists (make a fist hold for a count of  5, then open fingers wide) 20 times every half hour.  That helps move the fluid around.  Also try to keeps hands above your heart if possible. 

Be sure to wear your compression garment if you got one.  If not, ask for one. They do make them for arms. My grandma had a set of compression sleeves for her lymphedema after her mastectomy.  They really helped keep the swelling down in her arms.

Also eat a no salt diet, drink EXTRA water, and although it makes no sense at all, try to have a  BM every day even if it means taking miralax or MOM (being backed up down there can cause swelling issues in all kinds of weird places.)

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

Most Active