Getting ready for LBL

antonietta23
on 6/22/11 10:32 pm - Holbrook, MA
 I have been lurking for awhile.  I am going to have lower body lift in July.  I am having it at Mass General Hospital in Boston.  I am having Dr austin if anyone had him I would appreicate any feedback. Also anything for the prep. you would recommend. My doctor said I should be back to work in four weeks, I am a hairdresser and he knows that. I am nervous I am 56 years old, he does not seem concerned., I am excited and nervous as well as anyone would be.  Any support would be greatly appreciated. 
redbedhead
on 6/23/11 2:14 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Congratulations!!!!

I just had mine last week in colorado.  I spent 1 night in the surgical facility.  I was prepared for the pain, and dificulty walking.  I was NOT prepared for the amount of swelling I  have (10 pounds of swelling).  Be sure to ask about swelling, how much, how long it will stick around, etc. 

As far as to have at home.  Have someone with you for the first day at least.  you may need their help to stand up from chairs or the toilet.  But you can also have them standing by while you practice doing it on your own.  Be sure to have your pain pills, water bottle, tv remote, phone, etc on a small table next to the chair you will be spending much of your time in.  BE sure to walk or at least draw the alphabet with each foot every hour to help keep swelling in your legs down, as well as help prevent blood clots. 

WEAR your compression garments!  I feel so much better since I got mine on Monday, I wish I had had it sooner, maybe then I would not have 10 pounds of swelling in my abdomen (But maybe I would have had that much anyway)

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

Jujuvee
on 6/23/11 4:23 pm
Great news. Sorry I cannot offer you any wisdom as I am scheduled for November. But please keep us updated. I did however read that a raised toilet seat and a shower chair are  must.

Maureen K.
on 6/23/11 10:56 pm
 Congrads, 

You are going to love it. I had mine 1 1/2 yeas ago and totally love it. It is such a reward. 
I went back to work in four weeks as well just don't lift anything heavy. I also stand on my feet at work for 12 hours a day. I work in the movie industry painting movie sets so I climb ladders etc. - I think I should have waited 6 weeks as Like I said my job is physical I was careful not to lift things but in the bending and climbing I tore open my stitches on my lower backside about a inch it was nothing major but had to let it heal open so there is a bigger scar area there oh well. 

So just take it slow 

Best wishes 

MO

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Most Active