Date is set!

ashleynicole86
on 8/30/11 11:50 am - SC
And it can't get here fast enough! I'm scheduled to have a LBL and a breast lift on Friday, November 4th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Finally, the FINAL step is here in my weight loss journey. I will be very happy when all this excess skin is gone. I'm planning on finishing up my work (inner thigh lift, arm lift) early Spring.

I know my insurance company (Aetna) will not cover any of the procedures, but does anyone know how I should approach contacting Aetna in regards if they will cover any possible complications resulting from the procedures. What questions should I ask? I want to be fully prepared by November. I don't want to say/ask them the wrong things when I call them. Also, the paperwork I received from my surgeon says that the hospital will contact me about pre-admission testing which may include a chest x-ray, EKG, etc.  Did anyone have any problems with getting insurance to cover this? Would it be best to get all my testing done through my PCP?

Any advice would be great as I prepare for this new phase in my life.

Ashley
Zombie
on 8/30/11 12:41 pm
Congrats. If you are interested I have a list I can send you in a PM that is a good prep tool.

~Paul~

ashleynicole86
on 8/30/11 1:00 pm - SC
That would be great! Thanks!
Zombie
on 8/30/11 2:59 pm
You're welcome. PM Sent with the list.

~Paul~

ashleynicole86
on 8/31/11 1:33 pm - SC
Got it. Thanks again!
Lizzy25
on 8/30/11 5:22 pm
I'm having my boobs and tummy done next month, and my PCP was happy to send in orders for all of the necessary labwork. No problems with insurance covering for that. Haha when I first saw him, he said "Are you sure you've thought this all through? You're a very young woman, and I always caution against unnecessary surgery..." I lifted my shirt right then and there and pulled out my flab of stomach skin and opened my bra. He continued, "...But I can see that in your case it's medically necessary. You're an exceptional case and I think this will be a good thing for you." Yep.

GOOD LUCK! 
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
ashleynicole86
on 8/31/11 1:44 pm - SC
Is your insurance covering any of your procedures? Do you know what the doctor filed the pre-op tests under? I'm just wondering if it needs to be something specific especially since mine won't cover the plastic surgery.

Haha! I bet your doctor's reaction was priceless! I always find it funny when people question whether or not plastic surgery is needed. I want to be like "If you only knew what was under these clothes!"

Good luck to you on your procedures!
Lizzy25
on 8/31/11 2:33 pm
My insurance is covering the procedures because my PCP simply ordered them. They're basic stuff, bloodwork etc, that could be routine to diagnose any number of conditions. I don't know what he classified them as but I had no problem with it. Talk to your doc about it, they'll know. No, my insurance is not covering my procedures. They generally never cover actual tummy tucks, only panniculectomies (removal of the large 'apron' of skin below the bellybutton) and only then when it's so large that it interferes with your daily life (I can't remember how far down it has to reach, I think it has to touch your thighs or something. Mine is ugly but not THAT big). With breasts they only cover if you're getting reconstruction due to breast cancer etc. So I'm totally self-pay. Yep, going into debt. But it's WORTH IT!! 

My doc is an absolutely adorable gay guy who has a good sense of humor. But yes, I've stopped telling most people that I'm getting plastics, because they always say "Why would you do that? You look great!". And I sigh, because they haven't seen me naked. Some of them even try to give me the whole "you should love your body the way it is" speech which is a good way to make me mad. If they had MY body they'd be going in to get it fixed too.

Anyway, good luck with everything!
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
ashleynicole86
on 9/1/11 12:24 pm - SC

I think I should get my PCP to handle all of my pre-op testing just to be on the safe side. Definitely don't want to end up with a bunch of bills for this testing if it could have been easily covered by just having the PCP do it. My insurance works the same as yours. It will cover the panni, but only if it's causing rashes and hangs over the pubic area (which mine doesn't). Even though I don't want to get myself into debt, I completely agree with you...it is worth it! We are worth it!

I get the questions here and there, but I try to limit who I tell as well. My family and co-workers know, but only because I see them everyday. I work with a small group of people, so they are like a 2nd family to me. I don't mind them knowing.

I can't wait to get started. I'm ready for everything to be nipped, tucked and all smoothed out! :)

Most Active