home from panniculectomy

littleskie
on 10/13/11 11:14 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
pain isn't too bad but i've only peed in the hospital right after i woke up and it wasn't much. i feel like i have to go and it seems "close", yet can't come out. strange

any suggestions? i've even run water while trying to pee. no help at all.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

esullivan04
on 10/13/11 12:08 pm - Lyndhurst, OH
I didn't have any trouble going after the catheter was removed, so I'm sorry I can't help with that.  Just make sure you are getting enough fluids and hopefully that will help! 

Once you're going, make sure you go often.  A few times after my LBL 2.5 weeks ago, I didn't realize that some of the discomfort I was feeling was because of pressure from a full bladder until after I took a trip to the bathroom.

Best of luck!
Lee ~
on 10/14/11 12:19 am - CA
I don't have any advice as I'm still pre-op.  I just wanted to say congratulations on getting your panni removed.

I looked at your ticker and your weight loss is awesome!!!  Congratulations on doing so well.  I bet you're going to love your new shape with all that skin removed!!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Laura in Texas
on 10/14/11 12:34 am
Happened to me so my doctor put a catheter back in. I had to have it a week to make sure my bladder was "awake". My surgeon said he has spoken to a urologist who said people can have problems after plastics so he has started using catheters more. He feels it's better safe than sorry. Please tell your surgeon.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jessicam
on 10/14/11 6:09 am - Albuquerque, NM
Happened to me too. The doc wouldn't let me leave tiger hospital til my bladder " woke" up. Call your doc asap.

littleskie
on 10/14/11 6:24 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
thanks for all your nice comments everyone. i saw my dr. this morning. told him and he says so long as i am peeing some to not worry right now. i did pee some more this afternoon.

after the surgery i did use the bed pan. peeing is just difficult. i go drips and drabs. starts and stops. here's hoping it gets better.

the dr. did say if it didn't get better or I felt pain to call him immediately. his office number is answered twenty four seven, so i'm not worried.

thanks again for all the nice comments. i'm lucky my weight loss has been so good. i guess its not really luck as i've worked very hard for it. i still have a way to go to reach my goal. my RNY surgeon never set a goal. his opinion was to just get healthy. i've met that goal as i'm no longer on my diabetes meds, blood pressure meds and my cholesterol meds.

Lee, you are sweet. I'm sure you will do great when you get your surgery. we all have our paths to walk and i've been really lucky to walk a great path. few obstacles, few complications. i'm so glad i had it done. worth everything i've been thru and would do it all again in a heartbeat.
scottswife1997
on 10/14/11 3:43 pm - Ardmore, OK
Oh, I'm sorry.  I'm sure you must be miserable.  I had a cathetor for about 24 hours post op.  I thought it was the best thing so that I didn't have to get up and down to go to the bathroom.  My nurse did give me a Lasic (sp?) a couple of hours before she took it out.  However, by the amount of times they emptied my bag, I think I was doing fine.

When they did take it out, I didn't feel the need to go.  However, I felt pressure building up on my lower incision area.  I told the nurse I wanted to try and go to the bathroom but didn't think I really needed to go.  I sat down and the river began to flow.  The pressure was gone immediately.  So I guess that was a sign for me.

I agree to make sure you are getting plenty of fluids in a day.  My discharge nurse also told me to drink at least 3 protein drinks a day and that will help with the healing process.

Good Luck!
Holly

Linda-K
on 10/17/11 3:13 am - New Port Richey, FL
After I gave birth to my son 20 years ago, my bladder "froze".  (Could have been the fact that I pushed for almost 4 hours)  Anyway, I had terrible difficulty urinating for weeks afterward.  In the hospital, they made me blow bubbles with a straw in a glass of water.  I know it sounds silly but I swear it worked.  For at least a month and probably closer to 6 weeks, I kept a glass with a straw in the bathroom.  It was the only way I could go.

Best luck to you on your recovery.  This Thursday is my extended TT with lipo, I can't sleep at night.  A little excited but a LOT scared :)

Any prayers gladly welcomed

Linda L

Before/Current/DrGoal/MyGoal      279/183/175/155
littleskie
on 10/18/11 2:43 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
linda my prayers go out to you. i'm sure you will do great. the hardest part is the waiting for the surgery...lol. I was terrified beforehand but once they started the process i was ok, course the versed helped...lol.

all in all i'm doing ok. still don't pee as much as i feel like i should. but at least i can go. i'm taking a lot of naps due to the pain meds. lol. with the meds the pain is bearable. i get a lot of pulling and tugging in the drain areas. can't wait till they come out.

Most Active