Slight concern after LBL

ashleynicole86
on 11/12/11 1:54 am - SC
 I had a LBL on 10/28 and I have a slight concern. My surgeon cut me all the way around and did muscle tightening, but didn't do an anchor cut. I had expressed to him before surgery that one of my main things was not having a muffin top after surgery. I told him if he needed to do the vertical cut to avoid that from happening, I was fine with that. After looking last night, I still see fat above my naval area. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't believe it's swelling. I am able to grab fat. I have a follow-up with him on Monday and will mention it, but I'd like to get some thoughts from people who share a similar experience. 
Jujuvee
on 11/12/11 2:42 am
Well this is interesting because up until the day of surgery my surgeon only said he was doing the circumferential. day of surgery he says inverted T Circumferential and when I asked why the change he said that was the plan all along and that there would be no way to bring all of the center skin in if not. So I agreed. I'm only 4 days out so I can't comment on how it looks. I would assume that you still have a lot of swelling, is it possible that that's what you are seeing, if not will your surgeon do a revision.

HW 405- Pre op weight 374- Plastics weight 203 Current weight 194

Circumferential lift/Brachioplasty November 8, 2011

16.3 pounds removed.

Revisions + Thighplasty  October 23, 2012

Breast lift- Spring 2013

ashleynicole86
on 11/13/11 11:34 am - SC
I don't believe it's swelling. The fat I'm referring to is in my upper abdomen right below my breasts. I'm able to grab fat there. However, in my lower abdomen, it's a lot tighter and I can definitely see & feel swelling. I'm going to ask him about it tomorrow when I go for my follow-up. If I needed the anchor cut, I wish he would have done it. I don't like the thought of needing a revision when the issue could have been addressed during the initial surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 8:47 am
I'm 11 weeks out now from Extended TT hernia & gynecomastia, four weeks ago I was still kind of po'd things weren't a little tighter in some areas but it has gotten a lot better last couple weeks. Alot of people on here talk about swelling for 6 months to a year so it may take some time to really see the results you want to. Being that your only 2 weeks out give it some time I'm sure it will get better.

Bubba
ashleynicole86
on 11/13/11 11:35 am - SC
Bubba, during this period did you have any areas where you could grab fat? Was yours all swelling? I may be jumping the gun on this, but at the moment, it has me concerned. Thanks for your input!
Carol123
on 11/12/11 11:04 am - Islip, NY
I had a hernia repair with an extended TT done Jan5 of this year. I was all marked up for the anchor cut, but when I came out of recovery I noticed I didn't have the vertical cut. My PS said he changed his mind when I was on the table. That I would be happier without the scar and less problems with the healing. (I too told him I didn't care about the scars, I didn't want a muffin top, just make me nice and tight)
Well, I was very disappointed with the outcome at the time. I had this crease from the middle of my breasts to my belly button. It looked like I had a extra set of small breasts. When I went back for my 6 months check up it still looked the same. He said he could do a revision but really didn't think it was necessary. I really didn't want to go through anymore surgery. So I let it be. Lo and behold about 9 months out suddenly it dissapeared. The swelling finally went down! I lost an adittional 2 1/2 inches and a pant size and don't have a muffin top. You can actually see my rib cage now. I can't help looking at myself in the mirror and liking what I see. I look dam good for a 58 year young woman. So hang in there. It may take awhile but you may like the results.
ashleynicole86
on 11/13/11 11:37 am - SC
This very well may be the case with me as well. I might be over analyzing everything. I just want to make sure I get the results I want and paid for. I'll discuss with my surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully he can provide some reassurance.
NoMore B.
on 11/12/11 11:21 am
 I had a LBL in May.  I did not have the vertical anchor cut, only the circumferential cut.  My PS said he doesnt commonly do the anchor cut unless someone really has a ton of excess above the belly button.  I thought I did but went with his recommendation and didnt get it.

That being said, even though I didnt have the vertical incision, there is no way that after surgery  I could grab any fat.  What you're describing doesnt sound right to me at all.  In fact, right after surgey I needed to give myself Lovenox injections in my abdomen and had a heck of a difficult time because I had no skin whatsoever to grab.  Now, 6 months later, I'm still flat as a board on my stomach.  Definitely ask about it.
ashleynicole86
on 11/13/11 11:39 am - SC
Joanne, it definitely doesn't seem right to me either. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I feel like there's a difference between the upper and lower abdomen. I notice fat in the upper, but just swelling in the lower. I want him to provide reassurance tomorrow. I don't necessarily want to be cut again, but I want the best results possible.
pauliegirl69
on 11/15/11 1:47 am - NJ
this was my concern as well...And my Dr thought it was going to be OK with just the circumferential cut.....I was right... I had to be recut vertically because just the circumferential cut was not enough.
Most Active