Questions about breast augmentation

dlo2
on 11/13/11 3:55 am - Brandenburg, KY
 Hi everyone, I am considering BA and have a few questions.  I am wondering whether you got gel or saline and why you made that choice.  I have heard from mania that neither feels natural.  I have never had any kind of plastic surgery and this is all new to me.  
Any any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Debbie
SassyItalian
on 11/13/11 4:43 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Deciding whether to go with saline or silicone is a big decision.

I have several friends with saline implants and they are pleased with them. Saline implants are less expensive by about 60%. They still have a silicone shell lining them. I think there is more chance of rippling with saline implants, which can cause a small deformity under the skin. Saline implants are said to feel less natural per many experts. One plus to saline implants is if there is a leak your body will absorb the saline and your breast will deflate so you know there is a leak.

I had augmentation 10 days ago with a Mentor silicone implant, moderate profile plus 250cc. Silicone implants have been greatly improved in the last several years. Instead of fluid, a firm jelly like substance now makes up the inside of the implant. I picked silicone because it is supposed to be a bit more natural looking. That was my personal preference. Boh plastic surgeons I visited also preferred the result from a silicone implant. Though not common, a leak with this kind of implant is most usually detected by MRI. Silicone has gotten a really bad rap and I really think they have improved things with these since the old days.

10 days post op I love my breasts. It wll be nice to see the final result. I can say they arent hard at all, they are pretty soft and real feeling for being newly placed. Mine was put under the muscle.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Lizzy25
on 11/13/11 5:29 am, edited 11/13/11 5:31 am
I got saline, because I didn't want to have to worry about having silicone leaking into my body without me realizing it. HOWEVER, I can tell you that, having felt both types of implants while in breasts (I felt a lot of strippers), silicone feels more natural. My breasts do feel like bags of water, when you feel on the underside of the breast where the muscle isn't covering it. Is it ideal? No. Silicone would feel more natural. But I was willing to accept that trade-off because I'm a total worry-wart and I'd be constantly stressing about getting a silent leak (that's what they call it when your implants ruptures but you can't tell because the implant doesn't visibly deflate- this is usually the case with silicone). If I get a leak in my saline implants, at least I'll know immediately.

There are a couple considerations:

-Feel. Silione feels more natural. But not everyone who sees you will be feeling you up. Only you and your significant other will be feeling them.

-Leaks. If saline leaks, you'll know. The saline will be harmlessly reabsorbed by your body. But you'll also have to replace it because the deflation will be obvious. If silicone leaks, you might or might not know. But if it does leak, you don't necessarily need another surgery. If you're comfortable having it in and don't think it will cause problems, then you can leave it. Many women do this. Silicone has not been conclusively proven to cause any diseases. Some people think it's bad. Some don't. It comes down to your personal preferences and beliefs.

-cost. Saline is usually about $1,000 cheaper than silicone. But these are going inside your body for years and it shouldn't be your primary concern.

-size. I doubt you'll want superdupersized boobs. But silicone only goes up to like 900cc or something like that. If you want to look like you have watermelons on your chest you've gotta go saline because the gigantic sizes are only in saline. Most docs won't go that big anyway though.

If I had to do it over again in 10 years I'd seriously think about silicone, if they had more studies out proving its safety. Because it definitely feels way better, to me. I just don't think there's quite enough research out yet to be comfortable getting it put in me.

Also I highly recommend that you go visit the messageboards at justbreastimplants. There are THOUSANDS of women there talking about implants, every aspect of it. Spend a few hours reading through on various topics, it helped me a lot.
http://www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/

"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
NoMore B.
on 11/13/11 5:58 am
 I agree with what the others have said so no use repeating it. I'll just add that I have the silcone gel implants (had them done in May) and they feel TOTALLY natural.  I have 400cc's that were placed under muscle.  They feel like my own, just a lot bigger.
dlo2
on 11/13/11 6:50 am - Brandenburg, KY
Thanks ladies for the information.  It is very helpful.  I will go to the other message board and read for a while.  It is a hard decision mainly because I want to be safe but I also want the breast implants to feel and look as natural as possible.  I have surgery scheduled for Dec. 28th.  I am still not 100% sure I am going to go through with it,  I will keep you posted.  Thanks again for the information.
pixielee
on 11/13/11 7:42 am - Twinsburg, OH
Debbie,  I am only 11 days out from a BL/BA with silicone implants under the muscle.  450cc in the right and 373 in the left. Can you say that I was assymetrical before!!  They look and feel amazing. Absolutely natural. Just filled out like they used to be.  Already settling in nicely.  Would do it again in a heart beat and I have had NO pain at all with the BL/BA at all except for mild sensitivity.

Kate

cyndi U.
on 11/13/11 9:10 am - forney, TX
I went with silicone because I have two friends who have saline & hate them.  They say they are very hard  & not natural feeling at all.

Cyndi U
Gastric Bypass, Dr. Daniel Jones, Dallas, 2003
LBL, Lipo, Butt Aug, Full Thigh Lift, hernia repair - 5/5/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Echo & Dr. Bullocks
BL/BA, brachioplasty - 8/26/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Lee & Dr. Bullocks

dlo2
on 11/13/11 10:40 am - Brandenburg, KY
 Thanks the more research I am doing and the more I talk to others I and leaning toward the silicone.  I am just very nervous I have never done anything like this before
ilse72
on 11/13/11 12:02 pm - AL
I chose saline and they were placed under the chest wall muscles so my breasts feel totally natural.  My husband has said they feel the same as before I had a BA.  I  think it is all related to where they are inserted.  I love mine!

Height 5'1"  ~~~   Current weight 98 pounds.
Surgeon's goal 118 pounds (met March 18, 2009). 
My goal 105 pounds, met July 15, 2009.
Most Active