cosmetassure???

yorkieGal
on 11/18/11 6:12 am - Clermont, FL
Hi guys,

I have a plastics consult scheduled for the 28th and I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this plan?

It is supposed to cover any complications you might have post op
I am excited about the plastics but very concerned about any possible post of complications. I had some quite significant complications after my Duodenal switch surgery and as I was self pay we had to foot the bill. I am so worried about this happening again...

anyone's thoughts or experiences would be SO appreciated....

Thanks

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Lizzy25
on 11/18/11 8:26 am, edited 11/18/11 8:41 am
 I have had a ton of plastics complications so I can definitely empathize with you. I was admitted to the hospital for less than 24 hours for a blood transfusion and my bill was about $4,000. I don't know yet if my insurance is going to pick up any of it or not because it was due to cosmetic surgery. I'm not counting on it. :(

The cosmetassure program does cover the most common complications that would occur if you had any procedure other than breast augmentation. (With breast implants, a common and expensive complication is capsular contracture, which they don't cover). 

Also, it looks like you have to go with a surgeon who is contracted with them, you can't just pick anyone. Is your consult scheduled with someone who does that program? It looks like you can go and find lists of the surgeons in your area who do the program so you can certainly go consult with several of them. But obviously you don't want to pick your surgeon based primarily on that, you've gotta pick someone who will give you the best result in the safest manner possible. 

What I'd recommend is seeing some plastic surgeons and asking them what the cost of treating the most common complications are if you have to pay. For example, if I get a seroma that needs to be aspirated, the first aspiration is free and after that it's $250 each time. Some surgeons will do it for free every time. It varies so widely. Get an itemized list of treatment costs. 

Since you don't have to pay any extra to do the program if you pick one of their surgeons, it sounds like a really good deal. 

The only thing I'd worry about is, the surgeons obviously have a financial stake in the outcome of your surgery. If you have complications that cosmetassure has to pay for, that company in turn will count that against the surgeon. So make sure you trust that the surgeon will investigate and treat any suspected complications without hesitation. On the other hand, the company probably picks surgeons who have low complication rates in the first place, because it would be stupid of them to be losing money on low-quality doctors. I think it actually speaks well of the surgeon. 

If this is going to greatly impact your decision of surgeons, make sure you read the fineprint. They will only cover care given to you at one of their approved facilities so if you have to go to the hospital, it needs to be one in their program. Make sure your local hospital is on the list. 

It's nice that if you happen to pick a surgeon who does it, it's included in the overall cost. Your surgeon's general fee might reflect that and be a little higher than someone else's, so it's not really 'free' necessarily. But it's a nice perk for something you won't have worry about as much. 

I'm just remembering that my bariatric surgeon did cosmetassure, I'm pretty certain. I ended up needing an ER visit but it was more than a month after surgery so it wasn't covered. But he was a great surgeon. 
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
cyndi U.
on 11/20/11 7:21 am - forney, TX
I had cosmetassure w/both surgeries.  Had to use it second time, I had a hematoma & had to go back into surgery.  They said it would cover everything, so far I haven't seen any bills.  The Baylor office filed everything w/them for me.  I'd be scared not to have it!

Cyndi U
Gastric Bypass, Dr. Daniel Jones, Dallas, 2003
LBL, Lipo, Butt Aug, Full Thigh Lift, hernia repair - 5/5/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Echo & Dr. Bullocks
BL/BA, brachioplasty - 8/26/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Lee & Dr. Bullocks

Most Active