Have you had a TT?

Southernsleever
on 11/28/11 10:02 am
 I have so much excess skin I'm starting to consider plastics. I'm 9lbs away from goal and I'm in size 8 jeans but I know without my tummy I'd be in a 6 or 4. That is how much extra skin I have. It's really getting on my nerves and I HATE wearing a shaper every single day. 

What scares me is all the complications I read about on this forum. 

Who all has had a TT? 

How long did it take to get back to normal?

Would you do it again? 

How much was it? 

When could you go back to work? 

What would you change if you could do it over again? 

Are you happy that you had it done? 

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

Valerie K.
on 11/28/11 11:27 am - Dearborn, MI
 Had mine 4 weeks ago. I am still hurting I had the up side down T tummy tuck. I am not back to normal I will have to call my doc tomorrow and tell him how I feel. I am so depressed because I though I would be back to normal and the pain would be gone. My insurance payed for the whole thing because I was getting infections under my folds. I am not back to work yet hope to be back after Christmas.

I love the out come of this wearing jeans 2 sizes bigger than I was bothered me. There is nothing I would change. I am happy I did this but my pain hurts and I am so tired at this far out of still hurting. I would do this again if I had to. I say that now till I call my doc tomorrow and find out what he tells me lol. I am just having a hick up in the road and I know things will get better I just want them to get here faster.

My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Lizzy25
on 11/28/11 11:27 am
 My TT (fleur de lis, with vertical incision) was 1 month ago exactly. It cost $11,500 plus $500 for optional pain pump (which I heartily endorse). Mine was more expensive than the average, I think for the most part they'll run between $8,000-10,000. I am not yet back to normal but I am driving myself places, sleeping in my own bed, cooking for myself, and walking upright. I think I would've been ok to return to work at week 3 but I haven't yet because I'm a lazy bum. I'm just fatigued a lot and still feeling "tight" in the stomach area. No exercise for another 2 weeks. I am very happy I did it even though I had a ton of complications. My stomach doesn't make a slapping sound when I roll over in bed or go down the stairs. I pinch myself when I look at it. It's absolutely worth all of the money, pain, misery, etc. 

If I could change it I'd have picked a PS who had experience specifically with WLS patients. Mine didn't and was shocked when I had complications, and didn't deal with them in a very timely manner. We have more complications, period. There's more cutting, more skin to remove, and other factors that make us more difficult patients. You've gotta find someone who has done a lot of work on WLS patients. Bottom line. I'd also have spent the first night in a hospital, maybe even 2. It's a big surgery and you should be in the hospital the first night. I was sent home the same day and almost died sitting on the toilet that evening. A private nurse we'd hired saved my life. 

It's absolutly worth it but you've gotta be careful and you'll probably end up spending more money than you'd like. But again, it's worth it. 
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 12:07 pm
Congrats on the weight loss it's a big achievement. To know now & what I wish I would have known then.

This is a big decison do your homework and research your surgeons carefully. Everyone's experience is different with thing. If you plan and prepare the best you can if can be good experience. I got blood clots 2 weeks out and was in hospital for 8 days so some people have a bumpy ride.

Looking back I would spend more money to get more work done at the same time cause some areas look better now and other stand out more where no plastics has been done.

I had a Extended TT, Hernia repair, & Gynecomastia for about 8500 dollars but insurance picked up the hernia which made everything somewhat cheaper.

I was off work for 6 weeks total and had drains in for 6 weeks and no shower for 6 weeks. Fun huh!

I would do it over again in heart beat but use a different surgeon and maybe have arms done as well or have a LBL lift done instead of just TT.

I had 15 pounds removed and have pics in my profile if you want to look.

Good luck
Bubba
Zombie
on 11/28/11 12:20 pm
I had mine back in August. The only regret I have is not doing it sooner. Sure there is risk in anything you do, ANY type of surgery but its the best decision I ever made and a lot of people here on the board will agree, the pain was worth it. The only downside to mine is that I still get swollen a lot. I am definately a lot happier with my personal appearance and would do it over if I could. If I could do it over, maybe have him get the left flank a little better, I'm still gonna get that revised later down the road. Good luck!

~Paul~

ericaFG
on 11/28/11 7:38 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 I had a TT with fleur de lis. And arms at the same time. I had no complications other than some keloid scaring (that's just the way I roll). My Ontario healthcare paid for a "panni" and I paid $5500 for the rest. 

I had a surgeon with a lot of WLS patient experience. He told me most WLS patients develop sseromas, way higher percentage than non-WLS. I was prepared for that but didn't really have an issue. A very small seroma in my arm that reabsorbed on its own. 

I was off work for 2 weeks and 3 days. That was plenty of time. I wasn't in any pain or discomfort at work other than being BEAT by the end of the day for the first week or two. And no lifting. But I have a desk job. 

Id do it again in a heartbeat. Clothes not only fit smaller, they fit RIGHT! I went back to the same guy for my breast lift. And now kinda wish I could justify the money for a thigh lift! But I'm a bit afraid to look like frankenbarbie in a bathing suit!

I have pics on my profile...
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Kitty C
on 11/28/11 9:53 pm
godzilla
on 11/28/11 10:18 pm - Israel
Granted I live in Israel and I get Disability so I would not have been able to pay for anything. Apronectomy and teeny hernia were completely covered by my HMO and I had minor complications. My surgery was done in a "public" hospital so I was not released quickly.
Normal is relative to how each individual heals and deals with pain and swelling.
My "TT" was an inverted T and I developed a slough and small gangrene which happened about 6 weeks after the surgery and I was back in hosital for almost 7 weeks on a WoundVac. My wound has healed but will neccessitate a minor "revision" under local anesthetic.
I would do it again in a flash however I wish I had been able to foght my HMO for more. I still have thighs and a butt but given the way I heal my surgeon will not do those ansd as I hope to only have him, I will try for what he is willing to do on me. I am hoping to have mastopexy (to lift the boobs off my skin).
Mikimi in Israel

proudauntie
on 11/29/11 6:57 am - Honolulu, HI
I had a TT almost two years ago when I was 58.  I thought I was ready to go back to work after 4 weeks but the doctor said to take an extra week just to be safe (I spend about half my day at work standing and the other sitting).  No question I would do it again.  Having all that skin gone made a huge difference not only in clothing but in the activities I can now do.  My insurance paid for the TT so that's all I did - now I'm going to go back in a few months and have a butt lift - so only thing I would have changed would have been to have gone all the way around.instead of just the TT.  Except for this upcoming surgery I've had just about everything else lifted with very few complications and I couldn't be happier with the results.  My advice is to make sure you get your core as strong as you can before the surgery - it will make all the difference in the world during your recovery.  Good luck
z85sparty
on 11/29/11 10:13 am - Mason, MI
Who all has had a TT? 

I had a pani removal, a tummy tuck, and lipo done along the sides of my waist.  

How long did it take to get back to normal?
I will be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and I am semi-close to being back to normal.  I am taking this third week off but I will be going back to work next week.  I have a desk job, so it won't be bad.  I see my surgeon on Thursday for my 3 week check-up and I am hoping to get cleared to slowly start working out again.  I still get semi tired as the day goes on, but that is pretty normal after a major surgery.  FYI... I spent 1 night in the hospital because I live so far away and he wanted me closer.  I was on pain med for about 5 days, and after that have just been on over the counter stuff when needed.  So far (thank goodness) I haven't had any type of complications yet!  When I saw my surgeon 8 days after surgery he said I was having a 100% text book recovery! YAY! (**Knock on wood, lol**)

Would you do it again? 
Oh, HE$$'s yes! In a heart beat!  I am still swollen and will be for upwards of 3 months but the difference is already sooooo amazing!  I can picture it how I am going to look like summer at the beach (and I'm already shopping for a two piece swim suite)!  As a runner, biker and swimmer I was beginning to have a big problem with my pani.  I can't wait to go running this summer without my stomach flopping anymore! 

How much was it? 
Insurance covered the pani removal.  I paid $2,000 out of pocket for the tummy tuck and lipo!  This includes everything needed, even small follow up procedures if needed (dog ears, fluid pockets, etc) that can be performed in his office. 

When could you go back to work? 
See above!

What would you change if you could do it over again? 
Nothing as of now!  I love everything about my PS!  My surgeon is AMAZING!  He has TONS of experience with WLS patients (which was probably my #1 priority)!  The hospital he works at was the most amazing hospital I've stayed at.  My results so far are mind blowing (I have pictures in my profile and will post a 3 week post-op photo tomorrow morning if you want to check them out)!!  The timing!  I had surgery a week after my final race of 2011 (my first marathon) and that gives me enough time to recovery properly and prepare for the 2012 racing season (beginning in April).  

Are you happy that you had it done? 
YES! YES! YES!

A few pointers:  Make sure you have someone to help you the first couple of days to a week!  If you have any larger pets (aka: dogs) you will want to make sure you have someone to help you take care of them.  I still do not feel comfortable walking my 60# dog on leash yet!  If she were to really pull I'm not sure I would be able to hold on! 

Make sure you really vet your surgeon, and I would STRONGLY suggest they specialize in or have a lot of experience with WLS patients!  As others have said we usually have more complications and our skin is so different from non-WLS people.  Surgeons who are used to dealing with the normal house wife post-pregancy who want's her small pooch removed is a lost different from the WLS patient who has anywhere from 3-20+ pounds of hanging skin that needs removed! 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

Most Active