Plastics Opinions on Procedures

Papoose79
on 12/13/11 3:35 am - Horn Lake, MS
Ok, I know I have to pay out of pocket and the most troubled areas that concern me are the stomach, back fat and boobs.

Which procedure would you recommend I do first? I was thinking boobs first then tummy tuck. My thighs and arms can wait but I really want to get something done there. What would you recommend and why?

Oh what's the difference in the Body lift and the extended tummy tuck? I know these are questions for my consult today but I just wanted to have an outlook from those that been there already.
HW: 284 SW: 273 1st Goal: 200 2nd Goal (PCP): 150 Surgeon's goal 140                          
alla B.
on 12/13/11 6:29 am

I would recommend to you lower body lift, it will take care of stomach and back fat and you can do  boobs the same time if you surgeon will agreed.

Alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

kate789
on 12/13/11 7:01 am, edited 12/12/11 7:13 pm - Colorado &, NY
Hi Papoose!

You have probably seen your surgeon by now but I thought I'd still answer.

First of all, you're right, insurance is a b*tch to deal with BUT some surgeries can be considered less "cosmetic" if you can prove there are real health issues involved (like severe back pain from carrying all the excess skin or a terrible skin irritaion from chaffing).... seriously. I'll tell you what my surgeon told me- find as many issues as you can that can be blamed on your excess skin and then get as many doctors as you can to write letters validating that they have been treating your for these problems. Best case scenario you get financial aid... worst case they say no but it's worth a try.

As I found out when I started doing research and got my consultation... plastic surgery is complicated. I learned from my surgeon there are many different options involved in this type of surgery so there isn't just ONE final definition for each procedure.
Each of these surgeries differ from surgeon to surgeon depending on the surgeon's preffered style and what they think would be the most beneficial to the patient.

A tummy tuck is basically aimed towards ....well, the tummy! It involves the removal of excess skin and fat in the abdominal area and then the tighteing of your abdominal muscles with sutures. An extended tummy tuck, I believe, just means the incision includes your love handles.

A lower body lift is when there is a larger incision made above the pubic bone and around the body and then addition incisions where the excess fat will be removed and your skin will be sewn back together. Some surgeons use alternative incisions, like a larger perpendicual incision in the middle of the abdomen- I belive this is more common if there is a larger amount of excess skin. The surgeon will usually perform lipo and it is also possible to get a thigh lift as part of the procedure (incision on inner thigh that removes excess fat/skin and tightens stuff up). Once the excess skin is removed the surgeon will pull your skin together to suture you up... in the process the butt and thighs are lifted.

Now there is another surgery option and that is a panniculectomy, but as I mentioned, all surgeons do things differently. Technically this surgery is described as the removal of excess skin/ fat that hangs down from your tummy and causes issues. 6 weeks ago, I got a panniculectomy but in general I think it was mostly labelled that to look more legit for the insurance company (this is one of those surgeries that isn't always cosmetic). My surgeon performed an extended penniculectomy so my incision goes around my whole body and it basically resembles a g-string so the procedure was very similar to a lower body lift (minus the extermination of my inner thigh jiggle). He performed liposuction and also tightened my abdominals with sutures then pulled my skin tight so now everything looks a lot smoother (lower back fat is gone, muffin top is gone and my tummy flap is gone).--- I wanted to bring this up because you mentioned your back and thighs as trouble areas so it would make sense to me for your surgery to be more of a lower body lift than a tummy tuck... but obviously I'm not a surgeon and don't know your specifics so I can only compare this to what I learned from my experience.

Like you, I am also planning on getting a brachioplasy as well as a breast lift (possibly a thigh lift too). My surgeon is very strict about excess fat and said my arms still had too much fat and not enough loose skin so during my surgery he gave me lipo and then told me that in 6 months I can get my arms and boobs done. Apparently getting a brachioplasty while there is still a lot of fat is bad because removal of the excess fat during surgery will slow the healing process and can often make the results less than pleasurable- and the person may eventually need another brachioplasty.

On a side note: If you don't mind me asking, what are you thinking about for your boobs? I'm still new to the world of plastics so I haven't totally made up my mind and like to hear about other's plans/ experiences. I'd like to get a lift but I'd also like for them to at least resemble the boobs I had pre-orangutan in Nation Geographic phase. I told my surgeon I was hesitant about implants and he told me there was absolutely no problem and he could use fat injections to make them fuller. I honestly haven't completely nixed implants but I think it would freak me out a little to have foreign parts in there.... especially because I'm neurotic and would probably assume even the slightest vibration had caused a catastrophe. I'll be following up with my surgeon in a few weeks but in the meantime I thought I'd snoop around to see what others have going on.

I hope you had a great consultation and that this info was at least a little helpful. Please keep us updated on your decision and progress. If you have any questions or would like a surgery buddy to chat about stuff with please don't hesitate to message me!
Goodluck!!
-Kate

Raven300
on 12/13/11 12:26 pm, edited 12/13/11 12:26 pm
 Since you are seeking opinions, I'll throw in my two cents.  I would suggest going for the LBL or tummy tuck and the boobs in a combo procedure first. If your surgeon will agree to do them both together, you wind up saving some cash on the cost of the hospital theater expense and related charges.  I asked all the surgeons I interviewed the exact same question and I wanted all 4 of the procedures that you listed.  I was advised to go for the LBL/BL first as those two surgeries tend to provide the largest improvement on how you look. Kind of the most bang for your buck.

Of course, everyone is different. My arms are bad, but tolerable.  I know some folks have described their arms as bat wings and elected to have the arms done first because their arms really bothered them.

I'd do the thighs after the LBL if you choose to go that route. The LBL will improve your outer thigh and also the front and backs. Might as well get the thigh lift fix after you already have been improved upon with a LBL.

As far as the back fat goes - it can be addressed at the same time as the arms. Some surgeons make sort of an 's' scar and handle both areas.  You may also find that if you have a LBL that some back fat (and by fat I am thinking you mean skin and tissue) will be greatly improved.

Good luck on your PS journey.
Michelle E.
on 12/13/11 3:38 pm
I am doing the Extended TT & BL and BA..  19k..its like buying a new car.  
Most Active