Plastic surgery approved & date made. Advice?

biastar83
on 12/19/11 12:23 pm - WI
 I'm 2 an half years out from surgery. lost 190ish Lb's. Got January 5th plastic surgery date. I think they are just doing a lower body lift an then a cut down the middle to tighten my whole core. So like a upside down T. Does any one have any advice or stories to help me get mental prepared. Thanx 

We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.      

Zombie
on 12/19/11 1:40 pm
Ask for liquid Lortab, that stuff was like gold to me. You will recover and sleep better in a recliner. There will be a lot of pain but it will be worth it.

~Paul~

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 12:34 am - TX

How long did you sleep in the recliner after surgery? Is it just a matter of a week or two or more like a month or two? Im getting a tummy tuck to remove some loose skin but am not sure how it is going to feel afterwards or how tight it is going to be.

Zombie
on 12/20/11 7:03 am
It depends, are you having muscle repair to? I slept in my recliner for about 6-7 weeks, ONLY because the bed in my room is freakin high. I wasn't ready to be climbing on top of things yet. The first few days are hell, after about the 3rd or 4th day, its manageable. I was back to work in a light duty capacity after 2 and a half weeks and spent 2 and a half weeks on light duty. I probably came back a week or 2 early, but everyone is different.

~Paul~

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 8:00 am - TX
Ouch 6-7 weeks. It is good to know what I might be up for after I come home. My PS didnt feel that I needed the muscle repair so Im going in for a fairly light procedure compared to many others here. I noticed on your profile that you are LE so you would be perfect to ask about returning to work, I am LE too. How did you feel when you put your utility belt and tac vest back on after surgery? Did it put a strain the incision area at all? Sorry for all the questions man but Im starting to think of so many more now that I have scheduled a date for surgery.
Zombie
on 12/20/11 8:07 am
My PS said after 4 weeks I could go back to wearing my duty gear. I was ok after 4 weeks, no issues with duty gear, that was actually one reason I wanted the procedure done and now it fits better and doesn't leave marks against my skin. I talked to another person here a while back who only had the skin removed and he said recovery for him went super quick. So If you aren't getting muscle repair I don't forsee any real pain involved. Best of luck to you.

~Paul~

kate789
on 12/19/11 2:53 pm - Colorado &, NY
 Most important thing I would say is make sure to take enough time off so you can stay relaxed and heal without any stress. I also ditto times 100 what Zombie said about the recliner, I didn't have one and it made getting out of bed harder and more painful plus I had to yell for someone to help me every time I wanted to get up for the first 3/4 days- if you can't get a recliner, I recommend like 8 pillows and one of those pillows with the armrests that helps you sit up. Also, Laxatives... gross, I know, but pain meds = constipation which then leads to more bloating which makes the pressure on your tummy even worse! I got my lbl almost 7 weeks ago and developed a little fat necrosis. When I was first diagnosed my surgeon told me to get hot compresses (not too hot because you'll be numb and won't realize if you're scalding yourself) to put on the area... it helped the necrosis but REALLY helped with swelling and I found most of my pain came from being swollen and uncomfortable- I still do one every day to  relax my tummy and help the swelling. The first few days after surgery were pretty painful but that first night was the worst, especially when I had to get out of bed and walk around for the first time. I recommend getting some huge shirts/ moo moos-  I lived in these for 2 and half weeks because my groin drains were so annoying it was close to impossible to wear pants. They also have easy access to everything and don't constrict. Currently, I feel so much better and almost 100%- My abs still hurt where they got tightened if I cough or laugh and naturally, I'm still swollen.  
Congratulations on your success and I wish you all the best on this next step!
Good Luck!!
 Kate 

godzilla
on 12/19/11 10:25 pm - Israel
Wipies for toiletting are the best.
Lots of pillows, recliner; drink a lot but slowly.
Enjoy the flat belly-but only recently have I really enjoyed allthe benefits.
Mikiimi in Israel
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 12:31 am - TX
I am currently in the same position and am trying to prepare for plastics. Im just having a tummy tuck to try and fix up some of the loose skin around my midsection but am very nervous. Best of luck with your surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 1:27 am
congrats on getting your procedure approved and I wish you a speedy recovery and my prayers and thoughts will be with you...Jan 5th is right around the corner and what an awesome way to bring in the New Year.  Good Luck!

Also, LoneStar...I was in my recliner for the first 2 months, just couldnt find a spot in bed laying down to be comfortable.  Alot of people do sleep in the bed as soon as they get home with lots and lots of pillows.  Good Luck on your procedure also. 
Most Active