Lipo on outer thighs (without lift) - ANY advice?

Jan H.
on 12/29/11 11:29 am - Central, WY

Im reading posts of folks that are unhappy with their results.  Im having a BL/BA next wednesday and Im supposed to be having lipo on my flanks at the same time. At first, i was so excited but now Im worried that im making a mistake by doing it.  I know i will have baggier skin than I already do but my thoughts were that I would still look better in jeans, etc (i have big saddlebags).  Anyone have experience with this that they can share?

Jan

NewAlicia
on 12/29/11 12:14 pm, edited 12/29/11 12:15 pm
 Hi There,

I had extensive lipo in my thighs at the same time as my tummy tuck two and a half weeks ago.  My surgeon said that although the goal of the lipo was to prep my thighs for the thighplasty I'm having later this year, that I would notice some "lift" to my thighs with the tummy tuck, as it pulls up and with it come the thighs a bit.

The thighs are definitely pulled up a bit, but my thighs are so swollen and full of hard liquid, that I have no idea when the thighs will look better in clothes.  My guess is months.  Lipo is rough.

Ask your surgeon about ANY PROBLEM AREAS prior to surgery.  It's amazing some of the things they can do, if you only ask.

Best of luck!

Xoxo, Alicia
HW - 378 LW - 180 ( for about 5 minutes in 2005)
Weight at RNY in May 03' - 368, Current weight: 216 lb - maintained for 5+ years
Plastic Surgery Date: December 12 2011, Ext. Brachioplasty, TT & Thigh Lipo.
est. Weight post PS: 200lbs
waitinggame
on 12/29/11 12:27 pm - Bowie, MD
I was just having this conversation with another gal on this board. We'd both agreed that we'd be against having just the lipo vs. a lift. But then I got thinking--my inner thighs are a train wreck. Do I really care if my outer thighs are tight as a drum next to my sharpei inner thighs? I mean I know we want to be the best we can be and by all means if time and money allow for it then great. But if there is a way for me to remove the bulk from my thighs and get my pants fitting better despite possibly leaving the skin a bit more lax, then shouldn't I consider it? I just want these lumps that I call my outer thighs gone! Hopefully there will be some folks who have just the lipo.

Thanks for posting!

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 7:55 pm
 Hi Jan - here's my experience.  I've had large saddlebags for a long time and weight gain made them much worse.  When I lost a lot of weight they were still there and I opted for lipo only at that time.  The PS I used told me it was my decision - less bulk vs. saggy skin.

But in my own experience (and everyone is different) what ended up happening was when I lost my last 20 lbs. I had so much lax skin that when I moved, it moved all over.  Having a lot of loose skin in the hip area and a small waist can make clothes shopping nearly impossible.  I am now very active and the loose skin made working out in public very daunting.

Had an LBL in June, no lipo, saddlebags didn't improve at all.  Just had a revision (think hipbone around the back to hipbone) four days ago.  This included lipo of the very stubborn saddlebag areas.  Due to swelling I'm not ready to see my results.

The best thing is to really talk to your PS and understand the outcome he/she is expecting.  If you live in a climate where it's not warm and you're in jeans more vs. being in shorts, etc. it will make a difference.  I was having to wear some type of spanx/control all summer in 90+ degree heat.  If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask.  

Good luck to you!

Gracie150
Laura in Texas
on 12/29/11 10:04 pm
Do you plan on getting a lower body lift later? Are you going to get lipo on your saddlebags, too? I don't think you will truly be happy with more excess skin unless you plan on more work later.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Jan H.
on 12/29/11 10:24 pm - Central, WY
Im not planning on any further work (other than the same day as the lipo, Im having a BL/BA) because other than the fat on my outer thighs and some baggy skin on my inner thighs, my skin survived MWL ok.  The thought of the LBL scares the crap out of me!  LOL!  Thats why Im having such a dilemna - if I do this, is it going to make matters better or worse?  I would love to have thinner thighs but the flappy skin my cause more problems of it's own! 
Jan

muffin27
on 12/29/11 11:15 pm - Canada
Amy Smith
on 12/30/11 12:51 am
My experience is a little different as I did some outer thigh lipo at the same time as my abdominoplasty knowing that I would have more lipo and outer thigh and but lift in a few months.  After my first round of lipo I noticed no big difference, but I noticed more "bounce" when I would work out and no amount of spandex would help!
Last week I had a LBL with a lot of outer thigh lipo with Dr. Michaels and although still swelling, etc. I am supoer pleased with my outer thighs and things.  My saddle bags were terrible and now they are gone! :-)  
I personally do not think lipo by itself will help much.
I will post pictures on my profile if interested.
Laura in Texas
on 12/30/11 10:59 am
I would love to see your pics, Amy!! So glad you're happy with your results!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Michelle E.
on 12/30/11 9:08 am
I had the lateral thigh lift with lipo.. I know lipo alone would not have gotten rid of the volume of skin.. but then again everyone's body is so different.. I lost 160 lbs and stand 5'11.. Good luck on the decision you make..

Michelle
Most Active