Tummy Tuck Advice

sundaymorning
on 12/31/11 7:15 am
 So I posted earlier today not realizing how i was going to feel as of this moment. (I had tummy tuck and thigh lift)

I was told that by day 2 my drain fluid would turn a yellow fluid and would no longer be red.  It's definitely red so is this something that has happened to any of you?

I'm a hypochondriac and I find the worse things in normal situations.  Every once in awhile i see a little blood from incisions (Nothing gushing) and it worries me.  I'm wearing my garments (girdle and binder) and feel most comfortable wearing those.  I took them off for the first time today to shower and I just felt zombie like.  it was weird.  Anyways.  IF anyone can answer these questions and  maybe walk me through their experience the first few days-few weeks I would GREATLY appreciate it.  
Raven300
on 12/31/11 8:48 am
 My drains did not turn yellow....ever. The most I ever got to was a peachy color that was the yellowish fluid mixing with the blood.  Don't worry about it, everyone is different. You can tell a bit about what is going from the color of the drains. If it is a brighter red color this is fresher blood that is draining, if it more of a bordeaux color then it is older blood in the drain. The yellow color comes from serous drainage which is basically the fluid or serum draining.  You need to keep track of the color because it lets the surgeon know what healing stage you are at or what is going on in the area.

Many people turn yellow or light orange early on. My nurse called daily asking for the amount output and asking if the color was orange. It can stress you if you think the color should be orange!  Just because many drain that way doesn't mean there is anything wrong with how you are draining.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5196566_serous-drainage_.html

As for feeling like a zombie, expect that for a little while. You just had major surgery and your body has had a huge trauma. Give it some time, rest, and lots of proteins and fluid.  In 2 weeks you will feel alot better than you do now.
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/11 9:55 am, edited 12/30/11 9:57 pm

My drain fluid never turned yellow....bright red then a pale red..I wasnt allowed to take a shower until the drains were out, which was 2 weeks. The pain is intense for the first 2 weeks, after that things get a little better. I wasnt feeling totally myself until 6-8 weeks. Everyone is different. Wear your girdle 24/7 that helps so much, I still wear mine a little bit and I'm 3 months post op. Taking a shower will make you feel like a zombie for the first several days, I got light headed and felt like I was going to pass out several times. As the days go by and you find yourself doing more and more you will notice you will be worn out so fast. Your body went through major surgery and you gotta give yourself time and have patience, it goes by faster then you'll realize and you be so thankful you did what you did. I know the first 2 weeks I was asking myself "What the hell did I do this for". Hope you have a speedy recovery and take care of yourself and let others help you. Oh also I forgot you can find more info on realself.com tummy board site...alot of good advice
Zombie
on 12/31/11 11:03 am
My drains stayed in for 9 days and right around the 9th day when they came out I did notice a very little bit of yellowish tint to it, but they never fully turned yellow, they always had a dark pinkish hue to them. It's normal, nothing to worry about.

~Paul~

Michelle E.
on 12/31/11 3:11 pm
My PS said at least 7-10 days.. color will change from red to "straw" color according to the booklet they gave me.. My right drain is straw colored now.. and less fluid than the beginning..

I am doing about 100 fl oz of water/protein shake, 100 grams protein, 2500 mg vit C, my antibiotics, lots of magnesium.. I am drinking 3-4 shakes with some egg whites with spinach 2xs a day..

My PS the hydration & protein is VERY important.. I hate the fact of going pee all the time though..

I havent had a shower yet.. I have only done the bird bath and lots of wipes thing. I am terrifed to get anything wet..

Michelle
Most Active