Belly button closing up at an alarming rate!

Thundergrrrl
on 1/27/12 10:37 am
I had my tummy tuck on November 1, 2011 and they did an umbilical hernia repair along with it so my belly button lost blood supply for a while. After surgery my one and only "complication" was that my belly button might not survive. I didn't care all that much. My results are great otherwise. They told me how to treat the belly button with saline dipped gauze and antibiotic ointment and I've been doing that for nearly 3 months! But as time goes on, my belly button has just kept healing closed more and more. Now I can barely fit a Q-tip into it but am trying to keep gauze and stuff in there to keep it open. Anyone else been through this? Should I just let it heal closed? Is it going to look absurd? No bikinis in my future anyway so I kind of don't care but despite my best efforts it's closing up and more and more every day, at a truly alarming pace.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

PBJ
on 1/27/12 11:57 am
I just had my TT 2 weeks ago and my doc uses your own bb...just puts it in a new place.   I know that others just don't even get a BB.  I personally don't think I would care that much.  I do not do bikinis and never will.  The only one that really sees it is my husband.    But if it bothers you, I would call my doc.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
dasie
on 1/27/12 7:40 pm
I have been having hernia symptoms that occur when I exercise.  My WLS surgeon does not think it is a hernia, but he said if it is the PS could repair during surgery.  That concerns me because I want to know if I have one.  My issue is to the right of my BB.  What were your symptoms?  Did you know going in you were going to have the repair?

Thundergrrrl
on 1/28/12 12:01 am
I had no symptoms whatsoever and the day before my TT my plastic surgeon sent me to a general surgeon to consult because if I did have a hernia, best to do it at the same time and it would cover a little bit of the OR and anesthesia costs with insurance.  The surgeon put his finger in my belly button and pushed. It hurt a little. He said there was a very small hernia...so he fixed it the next day. I have no idea what symptoms even are or if I ever would have noticed this one if I didn't get a tummy tuck.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Most Active