My first sneeze since my LBL

bowknot
on 2/1/12 12:44 pm
All I can say is @#$%&! I don't to do that again ... EVER!

Kay

PBJ
on 2/1/12 1:05 pm
ouch!! I know the feeling...and it is painful!  Where is that pillow on the tummy when you need it!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
lorilea
on 2/1/12 1:33 pm - MN
I can at least stop my sneezes.........coughing that's another story.  I literally had to lean over my bed and put my entire weight on my tummy when I coughed.  The only encouragement I can give you is that it does get better in a few days.
Lee ~
on 2/1/12 1:42 pm - CA
 Oh YEAH, coughing and sneezing is a real !!$80,4?789,?794835,?784359,?370

Even at seven weeks coughing bites the big one!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

dasie
on 2/1/12 6:34 pm
How soon following the LBL can you shower.  I saw Laura in her compression garments, I think that is what they were.  They looked very difficult to get into and out of.   

So I was very curious as to how we take care of going to the restroom, etc.  If it hurts to sneeze I'm wondering how difficult is it for other things.  I noticed the way the incision line goes down the upper hiney area, and that seems like it would be difficult to sit.  I have a recliner, but it does not have a handle and can be difficult to recline and lower again. 

I have my consult today for body work and for face work next week.  I'm just trying to figure this out.  I never planned on having PS.  I did not get alot of info on my first consult for face work, so like another poster recently said, with my second consult I am a little better prepared for this consult....I think.  If it hurts to sneeze, what about pooping.  That has been an issue I have to really watch post RNY and sometimes it is not easy.

bowknot
on 2/1/12 10:57 pm
I think showering directions differ with each surgeon.  My surgeon said to shower when I got home.  He told me he wanted me to use soap and wash the incisions.  He believes that soap and water are a great way to clean the wounds. He didn't want me to cover them unless I felt like I needed to. I showered when I got home.  I recommend a shower chair.  It is tiring to stand up and wash that soon after major surgery.  I'm still not cleared to take a bath yet.  Maybe at my 4 week appt.

I wore a binder only for the first 5 days.  Once he took the drains out, he put me in a stage 2 compression garment with my binder. I was told to buy some Spanx like garments that covered knee to breast line.  When I had drains, I wore my t-shirt and panties with the binder over my shirt.  I entertained visitors in my t-shirt, binder, and panties --  obviously, only close friends and family. I sat in the recliner in my room with a blanket covering my lap and legs.  Once I started wearing the compression garment, I wear my binder over it.  I do feel like I'm "peeling" myself in and out of the compression garment.  . 

Peeing wasn't easy.  Some people do have difficulty and often recommend renting/buying toilet risers to help.  For the first week, I mostly stood up to pee. I also have to respond to my initial urge to pee.  I can't put it off.  It takes too long to get the binder off, then get out of my pants and compression garment. Like many people, I had post surgical constipation.  I learned not to push, just let nature take its course.  The first BM after surgery was a challenge, the rest haven't been a problem.  Don't strain.  It is hard to overcome the natural urge to help. 

It was hard to get comfortable especially the first few days home.  I moved a recliner into my room before I went to the hospital.  I went from my bed to the recliner and back.  I needed extra pillows everywhere to get comfortable.  Many people sleep in their recliners.  I could not.  I slept in my bed, but I had pillows under my knees.  My recliner did not have a handle either.  I had moments where I needed help to get out of the chair.  I learned how to use my arms and shift my weight to minimize abdominal impact.  I have cushioned leather furniture in my TV room.  It is normally very comfortable, but I have found it too soft to sit in since surgery.  I need some support.  DH was having a hard time understanding that our comfortable chairs weren't comfortable.  It takes too much abdominal strength to get in and out of them or move around in them.

It is amazing how your abdominal core is connected to the rest of your body.  Blowing my nose hurt in my groin.  I have to stabilize my abdomen when sneezing or laughing.  It gets a little better every day.  I have no idea when we get past it.  Prepare yourself for a longer recovery with a Lower Body Lift.  It was a week before I felt like I was improving.  Today is two weeks.  I'm moving around well.  I started back to work today, but I'm working from home.  That means computer time. I can move around the house with my laptop and get comfortable anywhere.  I can drive.  I have trouble getting comfortable in chairs.  I am no where near 100%, but I'm tired of laying around the house being disconnected from the world. 

Keep asking questions.  You need to go into this surgery with a full understanding of what the recovery is like.  It is challenging, but worth it for me so far.  DH said that I'm looking a lot less like the Bride of Frankenstein these days.  Either he is getting used to it or the healing is making it better.

Kay
dasie
on 2/1/12 11:15 pm
Thank you Kay....I appreciate you taking the time and providing all that very helpful info.

loverofcats
on 2/2/12 12:41 am
Kay,

Thank you for this. As I am contemplating having a LBL and BL this year, I am beginning to think of questions regarding recovery time, how much help I will need and for how long.

Did you spend a night in the hospital after the surgery? If not, how soon were you discharged?

Were you able to walk up and down stairs at all?

How much help did you require during the first week or so?

Going back to work after 2 weeks sounds very soon to me. How are you managing? How is your energy level and concentration?

How long were you on pain meds?

Where did you buy the compression garment?

When were you able to drive? You're at two weeks now, when did you start driving?

Can you do any bending at all?

Thanks for your information.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Lee ~
on 2/2/12 1:27 am - CA
Gail, we will be creative and figure out how to deal with your recovery.  Maybe you'll come to Chez Lee for the first week.  Love the queen size sofabed for surgery recovery.  You and Tivo/Netflix in a nice drugged state.  :)

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

loverofcats
on 2/2/12 1:52 am
Lee,

You are so sweet!!

I met with Dr. Le last week and I did like him. I wish I had more time to spend looking at the before and after pictures, but he was very thorough and said that I was an "ideal" candidate for the procedures. He does split the procedures up and his reasoning was sound, but it is certainly more expensive than going to Mexico. He said that I should be in a hospital setting because of the potential problem for A-Fib. The quote for the LBL and BL was less than the first PS that I met with last June. I have another consult with a different PS next week. I would like to have surgery sometime this year. I just have to get myself physically and psychologically prepared for it.

My core is strong. I practiced getting up from the floor without using my arms and I was able to do it.

Take Care,

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active