Getting extra protein

j_j_miller
on 2/14/12 9:57 am
 So I am packing for my flight to Mexico that's on Sunday. So far I haven't been eating tons of protein. I have at least been adding one shake a day, but really that's all. I know I especially need the extra boost after my surgery. I went to CVS(a drug store) and next to the protein powders I found New Whey Liquid protein. I was excited because it's 180 calories and 42 grams of protein. It's only 3.8 ounces. I am assuming it doesnt taste good but it's small enough that I can force yself to drink them. Well my concern is that when the girl rang me up, the register prompted her to ask my birthday. Kind of like when you buy alcohol or cigarettes. Does any one know if these contain any stimulant qualities. I read the ingredients and I don't see anything obvious, but I don't really know. The label also says caffeine free.  I bought about 15 of them but am thinking of returning them if they contain anything that I shouldn't have folloowing surgery. Thanks

Jennifer
Lee ~
on 2/14/12 3:09 pm - CA
 Ask Chris about  these bullets.  She used them in Mexico.  I didn't do much additional protein before Mexico and could not stomach shakes post op.  I tried to get in one or two protein bars a day and focused on eating protein foods.  I had very little appetite post op.  I would have gagged at the thought of a bullet post op. The night before surgery I had a ribeye steak at the Italian restaurant in the parking lot.

At the clinic the carnitas are great and high protein. The Applebee's has good burgers and other meat items so  I focused on those at the hotel.  Forego the hotel happy hour and go for higher quality protein meals instead.  The hotel is also just high sodium which it's best to avoid because of swelling. Just focus on eating all high protein that good quality.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

bowknot
on 2/14/12 8:03 pm
I don't have any advice about the protein.  I just want to wish you luck for your trip and surgery on Sunday.  It is very exciting!

Kay
loverofcats
on 2/15/12 12:35 am
Just make sure that it is whey protein and not collagen. Some of the bullets contain collagen, which isn't a very good protein for our bodies.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Amy Smith
on 2/15/12 2:02 am
I think the ones CVS sells are Whey protein.  They do not taste the greatest, but you can choke them down in a pinch!  I recommend putting them in decaf tea.  I have actually found I like them like that and it makes protein tea!

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

sublimate
on 2/15/12 3:10 am - San Jose, CA
Good luck on your surgery! I personally love Isopure in dutch chocolate. I also feed that to my 7 year old mixed with ice and he thinks it is a chocolate milkshake! I also freeze it in popsicle molds which makes him think it's a fudgecicle. To me it's that good.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

j_j_miller
on 2/15/12 4:18 am
 Thanks for the replies. I ended up returning them because it ended up being collagen protein. I didnt know there was a difference. The label said Whey and whey is in the ingredients but Collagen is listed first, so probably the main sourse. I am going to keep looking, I just like the bullet size idea because I can down them and be over with. I will see what I find.

Jennifer
Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/15/12 8:06 am
Jennifer,
Make sure your protein drinks don't have Vit E added.  WE can't have Vit E before plastic surgery.  I found that mine had 25% of the RDA and I was drinking 3 of them a day!  I had to stop.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

2muchfluff
on 2/16/12 1:10 am
 What is the issue with Vitamin E please?

j_j_miller
on 2/16/12 5:15 am
    I cant remember the why of why no vitamin E, but I was instructed not to take it. I cant take it 14 days prior to surgery up until I am healed.(thats what the Drs instructions were) I have also seen it posted on here as well a few times. I ended up ordering special multi vitamins that didnt have any E in it online. But what I bought seemed pretty expensive so I will look harder for some other choice once they run out. I also have seen that one of the Protein powders that I got from GNC also contains vitamin E so I have to avoid that one too. Honestly I dont know the why of it, I think maybe it has something to do with blood clotting or thinning, but really not sure. 

Jennifer
Most Active