Suture Abscess

melsreturn
on 2/15/12 10:15 am - Madison, TN
 Hello,
I had abdominoplasty with muscle repair in 2008.  Two years ago, I started having large round hard knots rise at my scarline.  Then, they would burst open and bleed, had pus in them, and would go through "cycles" of bursting, bleeding, healing, bursting again...  this has occurred in 3 different locations on my abdomen.  

I consulted with 2 surgeons, who state that the braided stitches that were used during my abdominoplasty didn't dissolve and now they are abscessing.  It does not occur very often this far out from surgery, but it does happen.  They agree that the scarline needs opened up, and sutures causing these problems must be removed...

Two things;
Has anyone else had this happen (after a significant amount of time after their surgery)?
And, also just wanted to bring awareness to this.

I'm consulting with another plastic surgeon who has quite a bit of experience with gastric bypass patients, and hope to get a treatment plan soon.  

2muchfluff
on 2/15/12 11:41 am
 Sorry you are having this problem.  Hope they can get it straightened out for you.  Thanks for letting everyone know about this possibility.

waitinggame
on 2/16/12 1:41 am - Bowie, MD
Man, that sucks! I had a lot of spitting stitches and yes, if I didn't get the offending stitch out, it would not heal. I am only 6 months out, but good to have a heads up it can continue to happen. I'm sorry to hear you have to go back into surgery for it. Shame they can't just snip the offending suture and pull that piece.

Good luck. Let us know what the decision on the treatment plan is.

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Most Active