Update - 4 Weeks Post LBL (Long, but with a pic)

bowknot
on 2/17/12 11:32 pm
It has been 4 week since my LBL/BL and I just want to share my recovery experience.

I've said it several times, and here I go again ... This is the hardest physical thing I have ever done.  Harder than RNY, hysterectomy, marathon, childbirth, dodging mortars in Iraq.  This recovery has been hard.  I have asked myself several times, "why'?  The main reason is that I have been able to spring back very quickly from other major events in my life and I assumed this would be just as easy.  I knew this procedure was a 360 degree cut and lift around my body.  I knew the technicalities of the surgery.  I just didn't mentally equate it to the necessary recovery time.  Of course, I'm Super Woman, that recovery wouldn't apply to me anyway, right???  NOT!!!   Boy, was I wrong.

Now that I'm done with my whining, I'm doing well.  I had my PS on Jan 19.  I stayed in the hospital 2 nights.  DH got me home from the hospital and had a business trip to Tucson.  My friends and sons (23 & 26) took great care of me until DH returned.  He got home and took me to my one week appointment.  My doctor was pleased with my progress at that point.

At two weeks, I was able to walk a slow mile -- 25 minutes.  The weather in South Texas was beautiful and I would take a slow walk around my block ... followed by a nap, of course.  But it felt good to work on my stamina.

I have been back to work for 2 weeks. I don't recommend going back to work that quickly.  I had benefits drama and work demands that pushed me to work sooner.  I am a desk worker so I was fine going back to work.  I am usually sitting at my desk.  I often take breaks to walk around.  It was not unusual for me to come home, take a pain pill, and crap out the rest of the night in week three. 

This past week has seen more improvements.  I'm still not able to walk upright with my shoulders back, but it is getting better every day.  My incisions are healing well.  I still have four scabs on my LBL incision, but over all, it is a beautiful scar as scars go.  I had two spots on my LBL incision where the stitches popped through. One of them is an area that is still healing.  One stitch was very white and hard.  The area around it was swollen and red.  It was like a small piece of ramen noodle before you cooked it.  I removed it with tweezers and it has healed over nicely.  The other stitch is soft and thread-like.  It is protruding next to a drain site.  It doesn't hurt and there isn't any swelling.  I can feel it when I run my fingers over it.  I tried a tug on it to see if  it would come out.  It didn't just release so I'm leaving it alone.  I'll talk to my surgeon about it at my visit on Friday. 

My belly button is healing slowly.  Some days are better than others.  I'm ready for my PS to take a look at it and get his opinion.  I have feeling at the lower part of my navel, but none on the sides and upper part.  On the plus side there isn't any pain.  On the downside, I can't tell if the area is tender.  It looks good.

I was really worried about my breast scars as they were initially so wrinkly.  They are improving every day.  I still have a scab at the anchor sites on both breasts.  Bras and sports bras have been a challenge to find that don't irritate those anchor spots.  My left breast has a scab in the middle of the scar.  My right breast still has a scab at the point where the lollipop stick meets the nipple scar.  I had a stitch problem there as well.  It was becoming infected so I pulled it out (Not recommended.  Let your medical professionals do this!) and it has healed beautifully since then. 
I love the overall look of my breasts and even DH has mentioned their perkiness.

I still don't have feeling everywhere.  There is tugging and pulling everyday in my abdominal area.  If I'm on my feet too long, I can feel things start to swell.  Swelling equals discomfort.

I went to my bariatric support group on Thursday night.  My surgeon actually came up to me to tell me how great I looked.  We went to a wake for a friend last night.  I caught up with friends I hadn't seen in years.  Everyone kept saying how good I looked.  I kept saying thank you.  It was all very good for my ego and reinforced my determination to stay on track.  I was on my feet for 2.5 hours and had to call it an early night at 9:45.  Things were starting to swell and pull.  I got home an took a percocet.  I'm feeling better this morning. 

Overall, I think I'm recovering well.  I'm still in my binder and compression garments.  I have to fight my internal "Super Woman" persona and not over extend myself.  I see my PS on Friday.  We'll see what he says. 

I'll post naked pics so you can see scars etc... once I get my before pics from my doc on Friday.  Here is a before & after of me in a swimsuit.  As a obese/formerly obese person, it takes courage to post bathing suit pictures.  I still struggle with body image issues.  Finding pictures of me in swimsuits is not easy.  The before is 2 weeks before my RNY in 2010 at my highest weight (270).  The after is this morning in a suit DH bought as a dream last summer. I am at my lowest weight in 15 years (175).  I don't have a perfect body.  Who does?  I'm very happy with the improvements. I'm feeling confident enough that I will probably wear my 'dream suit" in public this summer.  I'm feeling great.  Keeping it in perspective -- For a middle aged grandma of 10, I don't look too bad either!

Kay

PBJ
on 2/17/12 11:43 pm
 You look great!  And I hope you feel great too!  Thanks for sharing your experience with us.  You are so right this P S is not easy....but worth it after we heal!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Don 1962
on 2/17/12 11:51 pm
DH/Grandpa must be very happy camper!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

mkbeany
on 2/18/12 12:23 am
Congrats on the beautiful results.

Listen, I believe in honest accounting. I'm not a sugar coater by nature.
This **** is not easy and anyone who thinks it is, might be in for a big surprise.

When I started my plastics journey...and my WLS surgery journey even...I wanted the good, the bad, and the ugly!

I've had a few rough spots (damn seroma still hanging around) but I have no regrets!!

This is a great board to sound off...be up, be down, be mad, be sad. But we must keep our eyes on the prize.

Your pics are awesome! Enjoy.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
plum21
on 2/18/12 12:40 am - Miami, FL
 Hi Kay,
Thanks for your account - you look marvelous. Do please keep us updated. Sounds (and looks) like you're doing great.
Plum.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/18/12 12:47 am

Wow!  YOU little hottie!  You have a great figure!  Teeny waist, great thighs!  Very nice!  I have to say that your before and afters look like two totally different people!  Congrats!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Michelle E.
on 2/18/12 1:11 am
Kay,

You look awesome! I so want to rock a bikini too.. but I think mine will be boy short bottoms due to my lovely thighs.. Congrats on your success

Michelle
Tonya1263
on 2/18/12 2:40 am
Kay:
I'm trying to schedule my LBL now and I want to thank you so much for sharing your experience and the absolutely awesome picture.  You should be so proud - gotta admit  I'm a little jealous (but only in a good way),
Take care,
Tonya
Tonya                
mndane
on 2/18/12 3:03 am - MN
That is sooooo cool, You look great. Keep it up GIRL.

godzilla
on 2/18/12 3:57 am - Israel
Because of others who posted their journeys and now yours-I survive withoutsjor emotional issues!
Mikimi in Israel
Most Active