KU residency program? Dr. Ponnuru

Andi190827
on 2/22/12 6:32 am - Fort Leavenworth, KS
 Hi, I'm new to the plastics board though I've been lurking for weeks. My husband is in the army so our insurance is Tricare/TriWest. I've been to 3 PS consults, the last surgeon turned in paperwork to get approved for the panni removal. I was approved! Yeah! But after more research, have since decided not to use that surgeon. He hasnt worked with many massive weigh loss patients.
So my question... After reading this board I found out about Dr. Ponnuru at KU. He is an in network provider so I scheduled a consult with him. It is tomorrow afternoon. Has anyone had work done by Dr. P? And are you happy with your results? Would you mind sharing after pics?
I don't need just a plastic surgeon but a reconstructive surgeon as well, which he is both. I've damaged my skin pretty back all those years being morbidly obese. My pre-WLS weight was 278lbs in July 2007; I got down to 151lbs. I got pregnant and had a baby in 2009 and havn't got back down under 160lbs yet. I hover between there and 165lbs.
Sorry I'm rambling, I do that when I'm excited. But any opinions on Dr. Ponnuru or the KU program would be greatly appreciated!
Andi
aubiefan143
on 2/22/12 4:11 pm - herndon , VA
RNY on 01/26/10 with
Your post is a little confusing. Your question seemed at first to be about the KU residency program, but after reading the whole post it seems like you are asking about the particular Dr himself. If you go through the residency clinic there will be a chief resident performing the surgery under the supervision of an attending physician. If you are looking to have surgery with the Dr himself, then that would not be part of the residency program although he does run the program.

Penny
Highest weight 275 
Surgery weight 241
Goal weight 145
Current
  weight 143 (after TT and Thigh lift)   

Andi190827
on 2/23/12 1:57 am - Fort Leavenworth, KS

Penny,
It is probably confusing because I guess now with your explanation I guess I didn’t understand how this will all work. My referral from Tricare is to see Dr. Ponnuru at KU (at their 3901 Rainbow Blvd address). I mentioned the KU program because after my panni, I do plan on additional work. Was thinking about doing a BL with the panni, but that looks like it won't be possible at the residency program prices.

Thank you for your response; I didn't even think about insurance and using the residency program wouldn't go together; if I'm understanding you correctly. It makes sense though, doy me! That is now on my long list of questions/clarifications I'll be asking Dr. Ponnuru later today.

Thank you,
Andi

Andi Highest 278 lbs, Pre-op 269 lbs, Goal/Current 150/160 lbs
Currently looking into plastics...

Change the voices in your head... Make them like you instead.

Valicia
on 3/5/12 1:21 am
I went to the KU residency program for my LBL the week before Thanksgiving.  I was very happy with my resident Dr. Aquadro and my supervising plastic surgeon Dr. Ponnuru.  I had no complications and beautiful, flat incisions.  I will happily answer any questions about the program that you may have.

val
Andi190827
on 3/5/12 7:34 am - Fort Leavenworth, KS
 Thank you Val! I'll likely take you up on that offer when I get closer to surgery. I'm glad to hear you are healing well and happy with your results. I'm excited to finally get rid of this blob of skin as well.

Andi
Andi Highest 278 lbs, Pre-op 269 lbs, Goal/Current 150/160 lbs
Currently looking into plastics...

Change the voices in your head... Make them like you instead.

Valicia
on 3/5/12 10:03 am
I had a great experience with the doctors, one of the office nurses made me a little crazy.  I am having BL with my "side boobs" removed 3/15.  I think I was about the same size as you starting out, and after weight loss.  With the LBL, I can easily wear an 11 junior and an 8-10 misses.  My thighs are now big in comparison to my flat tummy, so pants are a little challenging.  A previous poster stated that Old Navy Sweetheart pants/jeans work well for this shape, so I am going to try when I go see the doctor next week. You can ask to see my photos at the office to see my before and after if you want.

val
Suzanne_Paulette
on 6/6/17 10:45 am - Lamonte, MO

What were the costs? I am needing an LBL myself after a TT & brachio. Thank you!

Most Active