Tanning

Amy Smith
on 2/29/12 2:28 am
Okay, so no lectures please.....

I know some of you tan and I have been trying to fight the urge, but it is only making it harder so I was thinking about tanning twice a week, BUT I was wondering what some of you have done to protect your scars.  I do not want to make them worse.  I am most concerned about the arm scar and the inner thigh lift scar.  I also have a LBL scar that is like 2 months old, but figure I will wear a bathing suit to cover it and I dont care about those tan lines, but down my arms and legs might look funny. 

Also, does anyone have experience with Red Light therapy?  In theory it is supposed to help the skin following tanning.

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

sublimate
on 2/29/12 3:47 am - San Jose, CA
I'm an avid tanner but I'm told not to tan for a year. I know my VSG scars are really dark from tanning, but my c-section scar is nice and light because I didn't tan for a while after I got that. I plan on doing spray tan for at least a year.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Laura in Texas
on 2/29/12 4:26 am
I really cannot help you, but I can relate. Normally I do not tan, but in April I will go to a tanning booth for a month to get some color before prom in May (I'm a teacher and have known this senior class since they were in 8th grade, many of who I have had multiple times). I'll be 10 months out, but am not too worried about my scars. Maybe I should be, but I need color.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

dasie
on 3/2/12 4:42 am
Woo Hoo you show  those seniors how it's done!  I never got around to going to my students' proms... typical what can I find to wear at my size, so I skipped them....I regret it.

AlleeOop
on 2/29/12 6:21 am - OK
 Amy
I had a full thigh and arm lift in may 2011. I was told to not tan for 1 year. I'm a tanorexic. I just starting tanning again this week. I am using sweat proof 50 SPF on my scars. I'm not sure if this is going to help yet, but it's what I'm doing. 
wls2011
on 2/29/12 6:23 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 Unfortunately, tanning does make the scars darker.....I didn't know that I was to avoid the sun after my VSG and I wore a 2 piece soon after surgery (in the spring) and then all that summer, and mine are pretty dark now, the one scar inside the belly button is very light and must be because the sun could not reach it. (I have a sunken in bb)

And this was with using 100 SPF, I am very fair skinned and burn easily, so I always continuously apply sunblock all over.

I'm now thinking I should plan my PS right at the end of summer which will help me avoid that problem this time. Because to go a whole summer without being outdoors in the sunshine, the pools, and the beach would be depressing. LOL.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Lisa D.
on 2/29/12 10:17 am - New Orleans, LA
I was told to use sunblock of 50 or more, even under my clothes since most light fabrics don't block UV rays.  I live in hot, steamy New Orleans but I am going to protect my arms very carefully for the first year.
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

jax0601
on 2/29/12 12:43 pm - NV
I tanned indoors when I was 6 months out from BL/BA, Full Brachioplasty, and LBL.
I wore a 2 piece and applied SPF 70 first.  After it dried I put primapore paper tape (cut in 1/2 inch wide strips) directly over the scars. It worked great for me. It did not darken my scars at all.
Amy Smith
on 3/1/12 4:20 am
Soooo.... after your input and talking to my tanning salon I have decided to do Red Light (which helps with scars) followed by spray tan for a while.  This will not help with the base tan idea as I will be going to Florida in a month, but at least it will give me the look I am going for. 

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

Most Active