5 Week Follow-up

bowknot
on 3/4/12 10:32 pm
I had my five week follow-up with my PS.  It was a week+ ago, but I haven't had the time to write about it.  He was very pleased with my results and his handy work.  He's planning on posting my before and afters on his website. 

I still have a 3-4 small scabs on my scar line, but they are healing well, except for one spot.  I have having a negative reaction to the stitches in a 2 inch area on my groin.  The stitches are hardening rather than absorbing and working their way to the top of my skin.  I'm getting a small fluid accumulation.  Once the fluid gets too tense, a small spot will open on my scar and the fluid will burst out.  The stitch will poke through so I can grab it with tweezers.  Once it is removed, it heals nicely.  This has happened 3 times.  Just when I think its over another one pops up.  As complications go this is fairly minor, so I'm not freaking out.  I'm making sure to massage the rest of my scar.  I'm just glad this didn't happen in an area that I needed a mirror to see. 

My PS said I could wean myself off my binder, but wear compression for another month or so.  I don't have to sleep in either anymore.  Basically, do what is comfortable.  My PS is of the opinion that nothing really works on scars.  Just massage them and give them time to heal and fade.  He said not to waste my money on expensive creams. 

My doctor cleared me for all activity with the caveat that I ease myself into them.  That made for a pleasant weekend for DH and me.  When I wasn't harassing my husband, I managed to spend sometime in the bathtub.  We have this awesome jacuzzi tub that I can (and did) read in for hours.  I really missed the relaxation of a hot bath. 

I'm traveling like a crazy woman for work.  Flying hasn't been a problem.  All and all, I'm doing great.

Kay

Amy Smith
on 3/4/12 10:37 pm
Great report! :-)

Don't over do it!  Easing into things sounds great! 

I find that there are days that I just want to wear a garment at night.  I feel super swollen/bloated when I get home at night and I think it will help.  (It feels like a belt tightening on the scar all the way around).  I fall asleep pretty quickly AND the next morning the feeling is gone.  Thank God!

I have also found if I increase my water, I seem to feel better over all!  (2 Liters is my goal!)

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

bowknot
on 3/4/12 10:58 pm
I know what you mean.  I'm not in a hurry to give up my compression garments.  I over-did things a little yesterday between laundry and cleaning up after the cat.  I was sore and tight last night.  I ended up taking a pain pill right before bed.  It is the first one in 3 weeks.  I feel like a new woman today. 
Valsdetermined2lose
on 3/4/12 10:38 pm
Glad to hear everything is good, Congrats on your recovery!
 HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

PBJ
on 3/4/12 10:58 pm
great report...thanks for sharing!  Keep up the good work!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Most Active