How "bad" are the scars after PS?`

LindaScrip
on 3/4/12 9:40 am
Am thinking about getting a TT the loose skin is driving me nuts and am just curious as to how bad the scarring will be I seriously have read that some girls actually wear a bikini? I also ride horses so seriously what is the recovery length going to be like?  Any other riders here have it done and how long did you wait to ride?
Raven300
on 3/4/12 9:50 am
 Plastic surgery leaves scars. There is no ifs and or buts about that fact. However, you trade smoother skin, better contour, and sometimes the removal of big hanging sections for that scar.  I had a LBL which means a tummy tuck type procedure that addresses the outer thighs and the butt and gives you a scar that goes all the way around the body.  My scar is less than a quarter of an inch wide where I healed well and about 1/2 inch wide in a small area where I had open incisions and seromas (unlucky healer).  The scar is completely hidden by low cut bikini brief underwear and bikini underwear. 

I had the surgery in November.  I was in a bikini this February and damn happy with smooth stomach and hidden scars. 

Scar placement is of course up to you and your doctor. Be sure to bring this up with him/her.

As for riding horses and recovery, totally depends on the person.  I didnt heal well so there was no activity for me for a long time.  I went on holiday with lots of walking and was doing pretty well at 10 weeks but learned tha****er slides requiring you to ride down on your stomach were a big no-no.  Others here healed like superwomen and probably could have orbited the earth and built spacestations a few weeks out.  Recovery is very individual. 
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Michelle E.
on 3/4/12 11:14 am
I am about 8 weeks out.. activity wise.. walking is fine.. I tried running a little today.. not so good feeling on the back of the thighs and tummy area even with control spanx and sports bra on..

The scars dont bother me.. covered with bikini briefs and bra.. no biggie.. my scars are very thin in most areas.. millimeters thick in some areas..

I would wait 12 weeks before I go on a horse or rides or

Michelle
cleos_mom
on 3/4/12 1:22 pm - phila., PA
 My dr says u have to trade skin for scars . I had mt TT 
3 years ago n u really can't see the scars at all. If u ever wanna see come on over
LindaScrip
on 3/4/12 6:50 pm
Hey don"t laugh I may just do that I am thinking about going to the same doctor you did can I call you later on and catch up with you on what has been going on? And as far as 12 weeks recovering OMG to not ride for that long? Guess it is what it is the sacrifice for the greater good.
cleos_mom
on 3/5/12 2:30 pm - phila., PA
 Sure u have my #, come over any day
Amy Smith
on 3/4/12 9:00 pm
It really depends on the person as for recovery.  I have had several rounds and if things go well it is a much quicker recovery.  I used to ride and show horses so I am familar, I was running on the road 5 weeks after my LBL (with a LOT of saddle bag lipo) and felt fine. I totally could have ridden at that point.  I also had some revision work done to my medial thigh so it kept me from being totally off restrictions, but I still would have been able to ride (comfortably) at around 6 weeks. 

I rode when I was heavy and can only image what it would have felt like to ride with the excess skin....it is bad enough running when I am creating the concussion, but I can't image riding even on a smooth horse.

As for the scars, fully coverable.  I will wear a bikini this summer if I can find a bottom to cover the top of my incision at the crack.  For whatever reason it seems higher (I really don't think it is, but things fit very differently now.)

Best of luck to you!  I think you will find the trade of skin for scar is well worth it!

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

mkbeany
on 3/4/12 11:30 pm
Plastic surgery leaves a scar.
Plain and simple.

Was never a consideration for me.

The goal is to make you look good in your clothes.

I don't ride horses so I don't know about that but I had a pretty long restriction for things that caused bouncing like jogging...6 weeks.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
lbaetz
on 3/5/12 5:35 am - St. Thomas, Canada
I wear my scars like a badge of honor.  Reminds me where I came from.  I've got pics up on my profile if you want to see.

Lori

Most Active