17 days post LBL, new here, and questions.

Jmbrown081
on 3/5/12 10:02 am
 Hey everyone! This is my first time post here, although I must admit that I have been lurking for a little while. 
I had my LBL with lipo 17 days ago and the surgeon removed 12lbs of extra skin, and tightened my muscles up. Recovery hasn't been too bad so far, and I haven't had any complications. I still have two drains in which are still putting out over 100cc each, and I can't wait until its time to finally have them removed. 
I still have all of the water weight and it's frustrating me to no end. I am still the same weight that I was the day after surgery, and I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who took this long to lose all of the water weight. I am wearing a binder and trying to drink tons of water, but I just can't seem to get the scale to budge.
It also seems like there are a lot of people who have a problem with wound separation. This is my absolute biggest fear, and I was wondering if there is anyone who has had an LBL and NOT had an issue with wound separation.
Right now I just wish I could hit the fast forward button and move ahead a month or so.
Lee ~
on 3/5/12 1:45 pm - CA
 Welcome to the PS board!

I had multiple procedures done almost three months ago.  I didn't have wound separation issues, but I did develop a seroma in my left leg at close to six weeks post op.

Complications do happen and most of the time it's not about what you did or did not do.  When I read that the LBL can open up as far as 10 weeks out, I became really careful about things like turning over in bed.  The compression garments that I wore 24/7 for six weeks really helped.

Are you tracking your sodium?  Be careful with what you eat to help with water weight.  I ate two bowls of watermelon the first two weeks to help flush things out.  I never swelled and that's about all I did that migh help.  I don't eat packaged food because of the sodim.

I had six pounds of skin removed.  I returned home from Mexico two weeks post op and was down exactly six pounds.

Congratulations on your surgery!  I hope you healed perfectly.  Enjoy your new body!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Jmbrown081
on 3/6/12 2:06 am
 Thank you! I have been watching my sodium intake, but I still have a ton of swelling all over. I'm hoping it won't last much longer, and I have been trying to drink more water to see if that helps. 
Wow, I never knew that it was a risk up until week ten, I figured I was home free around week six or so. 
I cannot wait until I get these last two drains out so I can but some spanx! 
Do you still wear anything around your stomach this far out? Do you still get any swelling in your stomach?
Lee ~
on 3/6/12 2:24 am - CA
I don't think I had much swelling but that said, I can see that my thighs are looser, as are my arms, so they must have been a little swollen.  My weight fluctuated 1-2 pounds and I can see that it's directly related to what I've eaten the day before.  I had an Adell's sausage link and was up the following day.  I don't think my stomach ever swelled much but I didn't try to put on jeans until around 6 weeks out.  I had to go buy new jeans because I went from a size 10 to a size 6. 

I saw someone post about something opening up at week 10 so decided to really be careful.  That might have been 1 in a 1000 chance but my surgeon is in Mexico and I don't want to deal with open wounds.  I developed my seroma at week 6 and I was sure I was out of the woods and then whala, there it was.  It's still hanging around at three months out.

I was in my compression garments for 6 weeks, 24/7.  I was told that after 6 weeks it doesn't make any difference.  Some people like them for much longer.  I switched to Flexee (spanx knock off brand) at six weeks.  Sometimes just the long camisole, sometimes the leggings as well.  When I put on the silicone strips, it's easier to keep them on if I'm wearing the tight leggings to hold them in place.  I honestly don't know how much difference it makes in the scar healing process.  I massage lotion into my scars vigorously 2-4 times a day.  I've heard that the massage of the scar tissue is the most important.  Follow whatever plan your surgeon gave you because they are all so different.

The drains are doing you a lot of good.  Please don't try to get them out sooner than they are ready.  My surgeon had me take out the last two (i had 11) myself when they were putting out less than 25 or 30  in a 24 hour period.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Raven300
on 3/6/12 9:12 am
 The swelling is a pain in the rear!  If you are still putting out 100cc's you can see that your body is producing a ton of fluid - even more than just swelling!

It is hard not to look at the scale but try not to think about it. 12 lbs were removed. There is no way you gained 12lbs in 17days! You probably couldnt even eat a whole lot post-op and your body is burning massive calories as it attempts to heal up that trauma.  It is water weight and it will go down.  I got upset about the scales too. I think that it is natural for people like us who have struggled to get our weight down. We are very sensitive to the numbers but we have to just keep reminding ourselves of the logic.  You did't gain weight and 12 lbs are gone....sooner or later you are going to see it accurately reflected on the scale.

Fluid can fluctuate during recovery. I saw the scale move as much as 6lbs in day after my LBL. (I know, I should be smacked for weighing multiple times a day!)

As far as open incisons go - most openings happen in the 2 week-6week period.  Most are safe after that, although as Lee pointed out, it can still happen.  The openings typically occur on the tension points. That would be the front area sort of over your pubic hair line and the back pointy part typically over the butt crease.  Just remember to take it easy getting up and down or moving around in bed.  Especially after you feel better. You'll want to move normally but just keep lifting yourself off your lower body when you scoot or roll over.  

Openings happen. I had some pretty big ones open up and cause me much panic and angst. Luckily they heal. Slowly maybe but they still heal up. 10 weeks after my 1" deep, 4inch long wounds appeared I was all healed up with new skin.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and am glad to see you posted when you needed to!
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Jmbrown081
on 3/6/12 1:17 pm
I feel so much better after reading these replies, thank you so much!
I can't imagine what that must have been like to have such big openings! It does put things into perspective though when you mentioned that ten weeks later, they were healed. 

Most Active