Inguinal hernia in lady-ME

godzilla
on 3/15/12 2:11 am - Israel
Here's the deal- today I went to see a surgeon in my HMO for pain in the lower belly along the bikini scar line especially after a bowel movement it hurts fir about a half hour and I go a few times a day.
He says a hernia in the left groin but also wants me to do a colonoscopy (the one exam I am wary about due to it's prep). He did see a need for any other diagnostic of US or CT.
I am scheduled for scar revision with mastopexy (still waiting on letter of approval from HMO). I wonder of this hernia needs to be repaired and if my PS can do it or ask a surgeon in same hospital to step in and assist.
Mikimi in Israel
Raven300
on 3/15/12 6:57 am, edited 3/15/12 7:06 am
 Oh Mikimi! Sorry to hear about the hernia.   It sounds quite miserable but at at least they can identify what it is and fix it.

Having witnessed my partner go thru a colonoscopy, I can say that the prep isnt the most fun thing you will go thru but it only lasts a day or two and then it is over.  Have you seen all those advertisements and commercials for special cleanses and detoxes? Even the celebrities are randomly touting the amazing after effects.  Just think - you are getting a medically supervised detox/cleanse in addition to a hernia! You are the totally in fashion!!!  

Probably didnt make you feel any better did it?  I tried this upbeat pitch on my husband during his prep. He just told me to get away from the bathroom door.
godzilla
on 3/15/12 7:03 am - Israel
I hope to go into my GP next week and discuss with her which Gastro to see if any or to just schedule the colonoscopy; and what if anything to do for the inguinal hernia.
Mikimi
Raven300
on 3/15/12 7:07 am
 I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!  Good luck.
2muchfluff
on 3/15/12 8:37 am
MIKIMI, 
SORRY YOU ARE HAVING PAIN AND PROBLEMS.  HOPE YOU GET IT ALL SORTED OUT SOON.

Britt U.
on 3/15/12 4:23 pm - Mill Creek, WA
I'm pretty sure you'll be told that your hernia must be repaired asap - they're usually very dangerous. Oddly enough mine was so big that it was less dangerous becaus it was too big for anything to get caught in it.

My experience is that you absolutely want a PS and only a PS to do the repair. I had my hernia repaired by a regular/bariatric surgeon. A year later when I had my LBL the surgeon noted that although the mess protecting my intestines was still there, the muscle repair had been done totally incorrectly. She's a mild mannered woman and her nurse told me she actually swore. Then she spent quite awhile fixing it. She told me that it's never going anywhere ever again and I can do Pilates to my heart's content now. When I feel it you can feel how sutured together everything is. My stomach is so flat that friends who've wanted to see my "after" belly often ask to touch it. It's like a teen's stomach it's amazing.

I surely could have gone without the first incorrectly done surgery. It was a long and painful recover and for nothing. When it was done right it hardly hurt at all during recovery. So darn frustrating.

Britt

godzilla
on 3/15/12 4:49 pm - Israel
Britt,
I actually had a typo missed letter in my post I. That the surgeon does NOT think I need any diagnostic test to check for the hernia aside from the colonoscopy to rule out but I am 49 and beaver did one which is why I want to talk with my GP.
In May 2010 I did a CT for tummy pains in the hopes that if a hernia showed up my HMO would agree easily for me to do the Plastics but back then they agreed for only the hernia which was teeny and in the middle of the cesarean scar. I appealed and won for my plastics with hernia repair. A surgeon was called in for the plastics but as the hernia was teeny the PS did it. My concern now is is the a new hernia or the old one opened. I was also surprised the surgeon did not think I needed US or CT-he said it is like doing an exam to check for a nose obviously on a face. For some reason I think a CT will show the location and size of the hernia-but I could be wrong.
I am still trying to figure out that if this hernia needs repair and I am due for scar revisions from my TT -if it can be repaired at the same time and how that will affect my recovery aside from lifting (will I
need a binder again?).
Living in Israel I have no one to talk to on a Friday so come Sunday (a normal work day here) I can decide which day I want to see my GP. I am still waiting on my letter for approval for the further Plastics and wanted to show it off at the same time.
Mikimi in Israel
dommiepa
on 3/17/12 11:45 am - Towanda, PA
I had one, a large one, that  I got repaired when I had my RNY.  It still pains me (i am 19 months post op) after bowel movements, but surgeon says it's still intact.

Yvonne.    To thine own self be true.     hw 432/ sw 352/ cw196.8/gw 200  RNY 8/11/10 Corsettrunkplasty & thigh lipo 5/16/2012.

Most Active