Horrible Rash on Tummy 4 Weeks Post TT

blondie0803
on 4/6/12 1:15 am
Hi,

Anyone experience a terribly itchy rash post tummy tuck? I have had it since surgery and my surgeon said I was allergic to the surgical glue he used. I was using Hydrocortizone cream and it was a lot better and the surgeon was pleased. However it has flared up dramatically over he past 2 days and it is almost unbearable. I feel so much better with my garment off but I know I need it for the swelling. I have an appointment tomorrow to have my last drain removed so I will talk to the surgeon then. But in the mean time, has anyone else experienced this before? I don't think it is from the surgical glue at this point since it is no longer on my incisions. It is EVERYWHERE and so itchy!

Thanks for the stories and remedies if you have them! 
Weight on Day of Surgery: 261lbs
Current Weight: 152
 lbs                
I am 5'3" and 29 years old. 
Tummy Tuck done on 3/6/12 w- Dr. Vincent DiNick
BL/BA done on 6/23/12 w-Dr. Vincent DiNick

Valsdetermined2lose
on 4/6/12 1:37 am
are you wearing a binder? My surgeon suggested wearing a t shirt under my bider because the binder can irritate your skin.
 HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

loverofcats
on 4/6/12 1:37 am, edited 4/6/12 1:39 am
I haven't experienced what you are going through, but benadryl is very effective for decreasing the itchiness, if you are able to take it. Benadryl is available over the counter and can be sedating, so don't drive until you know how it will affect you. You are allergic to something and benadryl is given for allergic reactions. Let your surgeon know what is going on and the problem isn't getting any better. Allergic reactions can escalate and need to be taken care of, at the onset, or they tend to worsen over a short period of time. I would call TODAY and not wait until tomorrow.

Maybe, you are allergic to the binder?? Is the rash anywhere else? If it is just in the area of the binder, that may be the cause. If it is elsewhere, then it may be a more generalized allergic reaction of some sort.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Brian Wohlgemuth
on 4/6/12 1:39 am - IN
 Benadryl is the best, but I would suggest a towel under the binder.  That cleared up a bit of the itching on my end.

HW: 474  OpW: 406  CW: 267            Twitter - @bwohlgemuth, same with FB
-100lbs 08/17/2010      -200lbs 02/28/2011      OpGoal: 07/05/2011  
Abdominoplasty  3/2012

jkjstars123
on 4/6/12 1:54 am - Tama, IA
I ended up with a terrible rash all the way around from the binder. It got so bad I was told to stop wearing the binder and start wearing a compression garment.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

Michele816
on 4/6/12 3:14 am
 I had heard that some people have issues with the binder causing rashes so I wear a thin, tank-type, cotton t-shirt under mine so that it does not touch my skin.  It has worked fine that way.

PBJ
on 4/6/12 9:52 am
Maybe it is the binder too.  I always wear a tshirt under the binder...super helpful.  Did you start a new medication in the last day or two?  anything new you are putting on your skin?  Need to see your doc to figure this out.  Try benadry to help with the itching until then.
best of luck

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Amy W.
on 4/6/12 2:21 pm - Buckeye, AZ
Oh gosh... thats exactly what  happend to me! It was sooo itchy and painful! There were also blisters it was so bad! bLaaaaaH

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

blondie0803
on 4/7/12 10:57 am
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the advice and I did listen and put a thin, long tank top under the binder yesterday and took Benedryl. Unfortunately it appeared to get worse but I saw my surgeon today who confirmed I am allergic to the binder so he told me to stop wearing it. He said otherwise, I am healing so beautifully so I should be fine without it (just need to continue with the Hydrocortisone cream until it goes away). I had my last drain removed today as well so I was one HAPPY girl! Now I just need to endure this rash until it goes away....but it does feel better without the binder.
Weight on Day of Surgery: 261lbs
Current Weight: 152
 lbs                
I am 5'3" and 29 years old. 
Tummy Tuck done on 3/6/12 w- Dr. Vincent DiNick
BL/BA done on 6/23/12 w-Dr. Vincent DiNick

dciano1
on 4/12/12 9:13 am
 I had LBL & i am soooo ichy also.
Doc said it is normal due to fluids. I am taking benidryl & it helps.
I also wear a white T shirt under the binder & coco butter.

Most Active