Celebrities & Extreme Plastics - Epiphany

sublimate
on 4/9/12 8:14 am, edited 4/9/12 8:33 am - San Jose, CA
I had a bit of an epiphany regarding celebrities and extreme plastics and was wondering if anyone else can relate.  Just for some context, probably most of you know, I had several surgeries 5 weeks ago today.  As far as the cosmetic portion of my surgeries, I had a nose job, lower body lift and BL/BA.  In addition to the plastics, I had chin liposuction and skin tightening treatments which improved my turkey neck about 50% until I get to goal and can get a full neck lift in about a year.

I also had my eyebrow tattoo updated to a slightly darker color and a bit thicker, which I think looks great.  I've also been wearing my naturally curly hair straight and wearing a bit more makeup. Also changed my style a bit with my clothes too.  I was just really wanting a full make over since I want to have more options when I get back to dating. When I look in the mirror I feel like I look totally different.

For some reason I was fixated most on my nose job and spent hours looking at my nose with a hand mirror at every angle, thinking my plastic surgeon was a genius and picked out the best nose in the world for me.  Then as time passed I started wishing he had made it a little smaller.  The more I looked at it, the more unhappy I became.

Since I am a very rational, analytical person, I recognized that my view point that my nose should be smaller was irrational.  Then all of the sudden I got it.  My changes to my nose weren't dramatic.  I had this fantasy in my head that I'd come out from my surgery recovery and everyone would say, OMG you look like a new person!

With so much pain and expense, I guess I felt I wanted to get some drama!  That WOW factor from folks.  So while I looked and loved what I saw, I've become pretty bummed that other people don't notice.  Some people said I was unrecognizeable, others said I just look a bit slimmer or refreshed in my face, and others said I look the same (that hurt most of all).  All of a sudden I understood why some celebrities have huge lips, too small noses, etc.  It's because you want people to notice!

You want to have that money and pain be worth it! Even though the rational side of me says, if they notice it's probably looking unnatural, but still I get it now!  Plus if you have it in your head that big lips are better, then even bigger lips must be that much better!

Can anyone else relate or get this?  I'm 5 weeks out and I don't think at this far out I am having surgery depression, but I'm just fighting the blues (which is rare for me) about the lack of drama that I fantasized about (even if it was unrealistic) now that people are seeing me after 5 weeks in recovery.

I also find myself more fixated then ever on superficial things and nitpicking my body and face more. :(  It's like surgery made me feel worse in some ways, rather than better.  I'm absolutely thrilled about the parts of me that are done.. I adore my boobs, belly, butt, and nose (when the irrational part of me is not wishing it were smaller), but now I'm fixated on my chin, arms, legs, eye bags, skin tone, etc.  :(

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

kathkeb
on 4/9/12 10:04 am
Well, I get my feelings hurt if I pay 100.00 to highlight my hair and no one notices .... So, spending thousands on plastic surgery (not to mention the pain and discomfort) without a notice has to be a bit demoralizing.

I had my tt almost 5 weeks ago.

I see a huge difference when I am naked, but am still wearing the same size clothes ..... it is hard to know how much difference other people see.

I have had people tell me I look great, but they are mostly people who know I had the tummy tuck.

I am sure that you look great.... And that most people will see a "shinier" you, even if they don't acknowledge the reason for the shine.

I have to be proud and happy with my results regardless of how many other people acknowledge it.

It may be hard to justify the "bang for the buck" when you have so much invested both financially and physically.
You have to trust that you did a good thing that will bring you more confidence and better health.
Kath

sublimate
on 4/10/12 3:31 am - San Jose, CA
Thank you Kath for your response.  Sounds like you get what I'm trying to say.  My rational side knows that natural is better and loves the way I look.  I really am truly happy when I look in the mirror.

The irrational side is stamping my foot at the cost and lack of attention.  But no matter what, it's difficult to keep that perspective that I look different when it is not validated in the world.  Sometimes we need a reality check, and there is no better one then when people don't see you as you see yourself.  So I guess I'm accepting that the rest of the world doesn't notice, and trying to be OK with that instead of being in fantasy/unrealistic land.

So despite seeing a whole new person in the mirror, I have to acknowledge that other people don't see it.  Also as far as my body goes, my friend told me last night that I was very good at camouflage.  I constantly wore girdles and wore a-line dresses that hid my panni.

So now I'm understanding more why people don't notice the drastic difference in my body.  Also I'm realizing some people might be afraid to say anything.  Mostly I've just been getting "you look great" or "you look amazing", without people pinpointing why.

I'm just going through a lot of emotional adjustment to the way people see me and the way I see myself, which I think is normal.  Just thought I'd share in case it helps other people or people can relate.

As far as sizes go, I was horrified when I didn't drop a size after surgery.  I thought I looked tiny in the mirror!  I didn't think I looked swollen at all. Well I'm happy to say that after drinking tons of water, not only have I gone down several inches and a size, but I'm in wonderland!  I also can tell I'm even smaller!

So rock tha****er.. it really helped me! Hugs..

3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

MyLady Heidi
on 4/9/12 11:05 am
 I dont like that extreme fake plastic look, I didnt want anyone to notice I had my neck done. I just wanted the extra skin gone.  I think natural looks better then exaggerated, I was just looking at a magazine tonight of plastics on celebrities and how some had gone way too far, the fake lip thing looks the worst.  If I had all sorts of money and time I would fix everything but since I dont I will have to make the best of what I have.
sublimate
on 4/10/12 3:33 am - San Jose, CA
On April 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM Pacific Time, MyLady Heidi wrote:
 I dont like that extreme fake plastic look, I didnt want anyone to notice I had my neck done. I just wanted the extra skin gone.  I think natural looks better then exaggerated, I was just looking at a magazine tonight of plastics on celebrities and how some had gone way too far, the fake lip thing looks the worst.  If I had all sorts of money and time I would fix everything but since I dont I will have to make the best of what I have.
I totally get that natural looks better.  I guess because I did a lot of changes at once, I was in fantasy land that I'd look like a whole new person.  Now I'm learning to accept that I just look like me, maybe a little better.  I think your chin looks fantastic!  So cute!  I want a chin like yours!

godzilla
on 4/9/12 11:53 am - Israel
I too understand your feelings and I only had the pannilectomy!
We know we did changes in and to our bodies whether via diet/surgery and all that those did for us and we want to be acknowledged for our time efforts and "final" (or almost) appearance.
At times we have friend's who just don't get why we have these Plastics procedures and consider us as only being into Cosmetics when mostly what we are having done is medically necessary! If we look closely we will find even a medical necessity in your nose plastics.
Enjoy (even flaunt) what you have and paid for-you deserve every bit plasticized!
Mikimi in Israel
sublimate
on 4/10/12 3:35 am - San Jose, CA
Yes!  It is addictive, and disappointing sometimes, because sometimes it's hard not to notice your other flaws when you have areas that are greatly improved.  Mostly I wanted to bring up the emotional roller coaster of plastics.  I don't think some people understand it, and now I totally get it, having had that experience.

PBJ
on 4/9/12 1:34 pm
I completely hear you!!

I do think that natural changes are by far better.

I can see how Plastic surgery is addicting is one has tones of money and time.  Once you get something fixed, you want something else fixed.  I can see that happening to me.  I guess it is a good thing that I don't have tons of money and time to get more PS.

Talk to you later.

OX
Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
sublimate
on 4/10/12 3:38 am - San Jose, CA
You and I have talked at length about this, and I know you get it.  Thanks for being such a supportive friend.  I love you!

Kim S.
on 4/9/12 11:11 pm - Helena, AL
I finally just decided to have my extra skin removed due to some hygene issues.  I really don't care if anyone notices-it is not about them, it is about me. I love the person I am and how I look.  I loved the way I looked at 324 lbs.  I always do the best I can with what I have to work with.

Plastic surgery can be a slippery slope.  I hope you can truly love the person you are, regardless of what the shell looks like.  You speak of dating again..........you do not want people to ask you out or fall in love with you soley based on your looks (and if they do, they are a short timer).  You want someone that will fall in love with who you are, and how you feel about yourself-self confidence is a major turn on!  I got a very successful, attractive man when I was 324 lbs!  I set my eye on the prize, and went for it!

I hope you can focus on all the wonderful qualities you have and embrace the gorgeous person you are, flaws (real or perceived) and all!  Every single person is beautiful; search for that beauty, embrace it and celebrate it!  Life is short.  Hopefully you'll live a long, full life and be able to see that gorgeous body you just spent all that money on turn into a wrinkled mess!

Strive to be the one everyone wants to rock next to at the old folks home, and plan on leaving skid marks all the way to your casket!  That will be a legacy for sure-and it is my plan!

Hugs

Most Active