Scar Away or Other Silicone Sheets

EthelMae
on 4/9/12 8:47 pm - MD
Did anyone use these?

Worth it? 

If so, when do you start using them?

Trying to get my stuff together for May 2nd.

Thanks.

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

siberiancat
on 4/11/12 2:07 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I used silicone strips for 3 months on  tummy tuck and brachioplasty incisions as directed by the plastic surgeon.  Belly looks pretty good, but I have keloid scars that are wide and red at 11 months post plastic surgery on my arms.  I'm sure they will fade in time - but not sure the "fuss" with the silicone strips and covering them to keep them on was worth it.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

melsreturn
on 4/11/12 10:10 am - Madison, TN
 The best advice I ever received regarding a scar cream was after my breast reduction.  This recipe came from a Vanderbilt University physician.  You mix up equal parts of:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Ponds Cold Cream (original, NOT generic)
Lanolin Cream (I purchased a thick Lanolin cream in a tub from IHerb.com and it was very good).  They also have a Lanolin Oil, and it works good too; I've used it but it makes your concoction a bit on the runny side.  I liked the VERY thick so that I could better control where to place it.  

My mother used this for dry skin on her legs .She loves it.  I've given the recipe to others before and some have added some sorts of perfumed stuff (I never did...  but you can find that on the MakeMeHeal.com boards under Abdominoplasty to find out what they added to make it smell nice).

Then, after you have clearance to do so, you rub the cream onto your incision scarlines.  You actually massage it because it helps to produce blood flow into those areas, causing healing. 

It also helped my, and a friend of mine's old scars fade.  I would recommend it to anyone.

Most Active