traditional lipo, smart lipo and zerona??!! How to choose???

shannon0731
on 4/11/12 1:09 am - LA
I am about 20 pounds away.  I am kinda sorta considering my options.  I have lost 65 pounds, so I am kinda considered a "lightweight" by some people here.  I don't have a lot of excess skin, so I am thinking that maybe one of the lipo procedures might be up my alley.  I just have a lot of excess fat laying around my midsection and have some, not a lot, of sagginess in my upper arms and inner thighs.

I am thinking exercise may help with he arms and thighs but the tummy and waist could maybe use some help!

anyone every have traditional lipo, smart lipo or this new zerona I am hearing about? Any advise you can offer?

Thanks!
I'm Ready!

cleos_mom
on 4/11/12 3:47 am, edited 4/11/12 9:21 am - phila., PA
excercise does not tighten loose skin.I had a full abdominoplasty with muscle tightening then after about 2 years I had some lumpines in my midsection so I had my PS do  traditional liposuction it worked but like he said it left saggy skin, which where it was he said he couldnt cut it off because there could be a problem with the blood flow cause I had a problem with necrosis, so he recommended smart lipo, I love it, I was awake totally talking & laughing aware of everyhting and the results wereamazing and then after like 4 weeks he does the laser skin tightening, but now I didnt have that much fat . This procedure would have never worked so well if I didnt have most of my skin cut off before.I was also a light weight but from years of obesity i had a lot of loose skin, if you decide do get the smart lipo make sure you do research . the Dr. who did mine in Pa is board certified in GS n PS and he does teaching on Smart Lipo he was one of the first ones inPA to do this, recovery is awesome. Smart Lipo is not an alternative to skin excision especially in WLS patients. It is really for body contouring when u don't have a lot of saggy skin
I dont know anything about Zerona
Good Luck
Susan
Dr_Michaels
on 4/11/12 7:57 am - MD
Congratulations on your weight loss. Liposuction works by removing the excess fat deposits you have, but then relies on the skin's elasticity to snap back so you have an overall improved contour. For many weight loss patients, they have lost that elasticity so the fat can be removed and their skin does not necessarily snap back. If you plan on losing 20 more pounds, you may have loose skin at that point. It is best to wait until you have reached your goal weight, or at least close to it, before undergoing a body contouring procedure. I do not think that Zerona or Zeltiq are good options for weight loss patients. These non-invasive techniques are really only effective for small areas of fat deposits and even then they only say it will be reduced 20-30% which is modest at best. I would wait until you are at your goal weight and then see a board certified plastic surgeon to see if liposuction or an excisional procedure is best for you. Good luck.
Dr. Michaels          
Board certified plastic surgeon

www.MonarchARPS.com               [email protected]

Leading the Curve In Post-Bariatric Body Contouring
Most Active