Volume of food decrease after muscle sculpting TT??

siberiancat
on 4/11/12 2:16 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I had a fleur de lis abdominoplasty and brachioplasty May of 2011.  I had considerable muscle sculpting done.  At 11 months post op my tummy is still sore (like I've been Karate kicked in the gut!).

What I'm dealing with is not being able to eat the volume of food that I could before the tummy tuck.  I was at goal at the time of plastic surgery and have lost another 11 pound in the last 11 months.  I don't want to lose more weight.  ( I'm 5 ft 1 1/2 inches and 114 pounds).  I'm eating smaller, more frequent meals.  I eat green, organic healthy food.  No sugar more than 9 gm per serving and little processed, refined foods.  I rarely eat out.  I do have whey isolate protein 2 times a day to get 80-100 gm protein in.  I take all recommended supplements and my labs are good.

I just had my 3 yr bariatric surgery check and the bariatric surgeon told me she thinks my tummy muscles are so "tight" that my pouch just can't expand as much as before plastic surgery.

Any one else had this experience???   Advice??

Thanks - Penny
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

dani02
on 4/11/12 2:44 am - Utica, MI
no advise but I will talk to my surgeon to do my mucles extra tight.
Thanks for the heads up idea

Dani
cleos_mom
on 4/11/12 3:52 am - phila., PA
that happened to me, my pouch seems tighter, I had my PS 3 1/2 years ago n since then I have lost another 25 lbs, but I also am lot bigger then you,.
my belly is not sore it is still numb I ant feel anything u can stick a pin in it and I wont feel it. if I lie down flat I can feel it pull, but I am so pleased with the results that the little stuff doesnt bother me my belly is as flat as a board and I have not lost any more weight
Susan
Felicia S.
on 4/11/12 6:31 am - Lincoln, NE
I had a hernia repair 3-1/2 weeks ago.  He tightened my abdominal muscles to repair the hernia.  Like you, the volume of food I can eat has gone way down.  On my preop visit I weighed 152 and today I weigh 142. 

Although I would love to see 135 on the scale, my surgeon doesn't want me to lose any more.

Slowly but surely, though, I am finding myself being able to eat more, so I think my weight will stabilize soon and so will yours.

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Tess145
on 4/11/12 7:23 am, edited 4/11/12 7:23 am - Senatobia, MS
Hi Penny:

I am going to have a fleur de lis tummy tuck too hopefully at the end of the month or the first week in May.  I have several hernias that have to be repaired at the same time.  I saw on your pictures that you had some issues where the T incision came together.  My surgeon said that this is pretty common.  Did you have necrosis or any kind of wound vac there?  Do you remember how long you were in surgery?  Did you have your arms done at the same time or before or after?  Also, you said that you have lost another 11 pounds, has that affected your tummy tuck with loose skin or anything?  I am getting excited about the prospect of surgery but some anxiety is starting to set in.  Any advice you could offer me would be truly appreciated. 

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

godzilla
on 4/11/12 11:22 am - Israel
Tess,
You are welcome to look at my OH "blog" although I haven't been updating as frequently as I should.
I had wanted to post my ugly photos of gangrene but it was in
my iPhone and as I hardly turn on my computer since upgrading cell phone to iPhone (I am sometimes just too lazy,lol)...
If you want to pm me your email, I can email you the photos.
Mikimi in Israel
siberiancat
on 4/11/12 11:19 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I had a large necrotic open wound at the T-junction of my fleur de lis.  I did debriding (removal of white gunk) and sterile wound irrigation & packing with sterile wet gauze twice a day.  I did not have a wound vac.  I am a RN and was confident in taking care of it myself.  It did take a couple of months to fill in.

The plastic surgeon wants to do a scar revision in that area - but I'm declining.  I don't want any more recovery time and don't mind the scar.  I will take pictures and post them next month when I'm a year post op plastics.

I had the brachioplasty done at the same time.  The fleur de lis and the arm lift took 4 hours under general anesthesia in an acute care hospital.  My plastic surgeon won't keep anyone under general anesthesia (for planned procedure) longer than 4 hours.  So, if you want more done it has to be "staged" into several procedures.

My abdominal (above and below belly button) is very tight with no sagging skin.  Now my butt and thighs look like the "saggy, baggy elephant!" but I'm not going to have any more elective plastic surgery.  The fleur de lis abdominoplasty was so painful, and with the complication, I've decided to just "live" with the hanging skin elsewhere.

I did eat 100gm protein 1 month prior to plastics and got in good physical shape to help during the recovery process.  I've continued to get in 100gm protein a day since then.  Healing from a deep necrotic wound takes a long time.

Make sure to take all supplements - have your labs done to make sure you aren't deficient anywhere.  I bought a good blender (Blendtec) so I could make protein smoothies and green smoothies to get nutrition in when I didn't feel like eating.

I'm not eating as large a quantity since the TT but I'm getting the nutrients and I think that is why I've lost more weight.  The bariatric surgeon isn't concerned about the weight loss because I'm so short - but I've got bones sticking out everywhere.

I had a bowel obstruction a week ago and was hospitalized.  It resolved without surgery (Praise God) but I did get weak really quickly and looked like a skeleton in that hospital gown.  I'm going to see an integrative MD (they do western medicine and holistic) to see if there is anything else I can do to improve my strength, appetite, etc.

Best wishes with your journey.  Penny
 Penny

samiamiam
on 4/12/12 9:36 am
Hi Penny. I read that you are an RN. Being so, doesn't your feelings of nausea after RNY concern you. After three years! What has your surgeon said? Have you gotten a second opinion.

I have read that many people eat less after the tt however, I thought that this was just for a few weeks. I do not want to loose anymore weight, just my gut, so this is worrisome. Like you, if I am ten-fifteen pounds lighter than I am now, I look like a skeleton.

Sincerely,

Teresa
siberiancat
on 4/12/12 10:44 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I have had issues with nausea for 8 yrs (5 yrs before my RNY).  I had gastroparesis and a malformed stomach - adhesions had attached to my stomach and folded it over on itself.  I had laproscopic lysis of adhesions to help but still had nausea.

Prior to RNY much of my nausea was "self inflicted" by overeating and eating an abundance of refined sweets (cake, pie, cookies, ice cream, etc.) and fast foods, carbonated colas, etc.  I took Compazine orally a couple times a day to help.

My bariatric surgeon told me the RNY may or may not help with the nausea issue.  It has not helped.  I no longer overeat, I don't eat refined sugars or flours, no processed foods, no carbonated beverages, etc. 

I mostly have whey isolate protein, whole organic foods (veggies, organic eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, ground meats, greek yogurt, fruits, etc.) I try not to eat processed, GMO foods, no sugar above 9gm per serving, not much "white" processed food and stay away from added chemicals and preservatives.

I don't take Compazine anymore as I'm trying to eliminate all chemicals and toxins.  I do use some theraputic grade essential oils on my belly to help with nausea.

Even my 14 oz protein hot drink for breakfast causes nausea.  I can't even drink water for 1- 1 1/2 hours after consuming solid food or protein drinks.  It makes it difficult to get in fluid requirements but I consistently get about 100 oz in a day - which is good.

I've learned to live with nausea.  I've sleep in electric bed with head elevated 30-45 degrees for years because lying flat causes nausea.

I am seeing an integrative MD on Monday to see about elimination diet or herbals that may help.

My concern since the fleur de lis with muscle sculpting is I can't eat as much volume as I could a year ago (I'm 11 months post op TT) and with the nausea I'm still losing weight.  I'm healthy, my labs are good - but if I could I'd like to stop the nausea.  I rarely vomit - just feel like I could.

Anyone with tips would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Penny
 Penny

samiamiam
on 4/14/12 2:44 am
Penny

Thank you for your response. I also use therapeutic organic essential oils for several reasons. Peppermint, lavender and lemon grass are ones I use often. However, I am branching out. I did not know what a "Fleur de lis" was until I had read one of your post. After I read your post I watch the surgery on You Tube. I found that fascinating. I wonder why my doc did not suggest that? I could not believe the amount of skin and fat that they took off with that operation!

I appreciate your efforts to live a healthy lifestyle. I find that America's food is so heavily processed and full of toxins that it make it a challenge to find something that is not full of poisons, toxins, preservatives and genetically altered ingredients!!

Teresa
Most Active