getting plastics while still overweight

Nicole T.
on 4/13/12 6:49 am
hi,

i am wondering if anyone here got their plastics while they were still 50-75 lbs heavier then they wanted to be but got the surgery anyway? I am thinking of doing that since i have such a big stomach and huge arms. it might motivate me to lose the rest and just get a revision. any thoughts?

thanks!

Nicole
godzilla
on 4/13/12 7:27 am - Israel
I was not nor am I at goal weight.
I live in Israel so I think in metric.
My height is 152cm and before my RnY I weighed 104K.
I lost weight and gained but stabilized at 83K when I was approved for surgery pannilectomy in August 2011. Three kilo was removed. It was covered by my HMO.
I now weigh 77-78K. Without the hanging flapping belly I can move a lot more freely. Unfortunately I do not exercise but if I am out I do not mind walking.
sublimate
on 4/13/12 8:29 am - San Jose, CA
Yes! I'm very happy I did it. Take a look at my plastics pix on my profile and you'll see why. I still need to lose another 20 pounds at least, maybe 30-40 if I can reasonably do it.

But the surgeon took 20 pounds off me, putting me into wonderland and making me feel so much more confident and motivated! I'm back to really being more focused instead of feeling like I'll never get to goal.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

kathkeb
on 4/13/12 8:36 am
I was self-pay all the way (my WLS and my plastics), so I did not want to have to pay for PS and then for a revision.

I did have my brachioplasty and breast lift while I was about 15 pounds above my goal weight.
My plastic surgeon and I agreed that the remaining 15 pounds were not going to alter my arms and breasts by a noticable amount.

I am not sorry I did that.

I am happy that I waited to be at goal for a year before I had my tummy tuck.  It gave me time to really get into good physical condition and strengthen my core muscles.  I believe that my recovery/recuperation time has been easier because my core was very strong going into surgery.

Now, obviously, I don't live in your body and don't know how uncomfortable you are.  But please don't take the 'just get a revision' thing lightly.  These are major surgeries.
Kath

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/13/12 8:44 am, edited 4/12/12 8:46 pm
I did my tummy and arms in 2009! I was living on Aleve for chronic back pain. I have no regrets but I know my results are not ever going to be what others are becsuse I had to have a revision. I believe also that in the end I will pay twice what I would have if I had waited. It completely relieved my back pain and I was able to be more active. If you have the extra money and don't mind going into surgery again for a revision, go for it. I had 3 consults and all three warned me that if your BMI is over 30 your risk of complications with DVTs and wound openings including infections are much greater.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Brian Wohlgemuth
on 4/13/12 10:03 am - IN
It's what I just did Nicole.  The gut wasn't going away whether I lost 20 more pounds or not.  

I do think I should have tried to lose more weight, but that just wasnt going to happen without waiting until fall.  I made the decision to do it now so I could at least enjoy the summer and lose that way.

HW: 474  OpW: 406  CW: 267            Twitter - @bwohlgemuth, same with FB
-100lbs 08/17/2010      -200lbs 02/28/2011      OpGoal: 07/05/2011  
Abdominoplasty  3/2012

cleos_mom
on 4/13/12 11:02 am - phila., PA
 You should maintain your weight for several months before u get yourTT, 
And then be careful not to loose more then 20 lbs cause if u do u will have loose skin again
And may need a revision
I wasn't at goal when I had my TT  but I also realized ill never get to goal of 140 I m between
165 to 170 I go up n down  5 lbs.when I got my TT I WAS 192 so I did have some saggy skin from

more weight loss but I had to have the TT when I did cause I had cervical
Cancer n got them done together
Good Luck
Susan
jessicam
on 4/13/12 2:14 pm - Albuquerque, NM
I had my pannis removed in Aug I was maintaining at 177 for 4 to 6 months. I only lost 3.5 lbs for the surgery and was very happy. Since then I have continuedto lose and now weigh 156. I wish I would have known I was going to continue to drop weight because now my skin is very saggy again. Boo... I would wait if you can.

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/12 12:24 am
I was/am still 30+ pounds overweight and had a Extended TT & Gynecomastia with hernia repair they removed 15 pounds. I am not happy with my results and wish I would have lost the extra weight. If it wasn't for the hernia starting to go give me issues I think I would have waited. Life is certainly more functional with out the extra weight, but I am not crazy about the job my surgeon did either. If you got the time and money and want some relief then go for it, I would rather have fewer surgeries myself knowing that I got myself into shape but that is another story all together.

Good luck,
Bubba
PBJ
on 4/14/12 3:03 am
This is a tough question ...and really is up to you!  I was at goal for about 6 months before my TT and my surgeon had told he was happy about that.  I am thrilled with my results.  So if you asked me this 4 months ago..I would have absolutely said you need to be at goal first.
Now having seen my dear friend Sublimate get her PS and not being quite at goal yet..I have changed my mind in some cases!  She looks great and I think this will actually help her to get to goal..because it is so motivating to feel better and because once you heal I think you can exercise easier without the extra skin.  Yeh..you might need alittle revision in a few years..but who doesn't??

So my answer is do what is best for you!  Whatever you can afford to do and what feels right for you. 

good luck on your journey!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Most Active