compresion wear

Havalina
on 4/22/12 11:09 am, edited 4/22/12 2:27 pm
I have met many doctors lately.
What is the deal with compression wear?
I used to think it was pretty standard that there would be some sort of compression.
I know that many times a binder is used until the drains are removed and then a nice compression garment for several weeks.
Well I recently came about a few doctors that use no compression at all. They stated that it can sometimes prevent proper circulation and a few other things ( sorry can't remember right now)..

So did any of you NOT have to use compression? What were your results?

Thanks!
 VSG  Aug 9, 2010 with Dr. Shieh in Fort Myers, FL    
HW 366 Day of Surgery 334
PS: Extended TT, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer to the rear 6/6/2012.

JustLookingToo
on 4/22/12 11:13 am - AL
I'm curious about this too, since I have a TT coming up in June. My facelift doc said NO compression for my face or chin. When I asked why, he said that people were getting "and made a motion with his hands that seemed to symbolize lines or wrinkles" from compression garments. He then explained that he gets great results without compression. Anxious to see what others post on this question.

samiamiam
on 4/22/12 12:42 pm
I have to clarify about this at my pre op appt. I have been reading allot about compression garmet problems and it seems that people are getting them way to snug and it is cutting off circulation and causing swelling in other places. I have my pre-TT photos on my profile so you can take a peak at what we are dealing with lol. I am wondering if I measure myself now and order the size I would wear now or a smaller size. I think I am supposed to order the size that I would wear now because there will be after surgery swelling. What are you having done?

Teresa
Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/22/12 2:15 pm
Personally, being through this 3 times, I am happy to have been given some great compression garments by my ps.  My thighs were so swollen and by the time, I finished my shower and got back into my garment, I was feeling like I would burst.  The garment protected my incisions and kept the edema in check.  I believe that is why I had an easier time without any open incision lines on my thighs.  When you're walking it is really uncomfortable with the long thigh lift incision.

My ps measured me and ordered my garments according to my pre-ps measurements.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Brian Wohlgemuth
on 4/23/12 2:55 am - IN
 Agreed...the ab binder...while annoying was CRITICAL in keeping the swelling to a minimum. I felt like I was going to explode the first time I took it off.

Three more days and I'll be able to remove mine!

HW: 474  OpW: 406  CW: 267            Twitter - @bwohlgemuth, same with FB
-100lbs 08/17/2010      -200lbs 02/28/2011      OpGoal: 07/05/2011  
Abdominoplasty  3/2012

Maureen K.
on 4/25/12 12:58 am
 I wore compression garments for over 6 months at first I hated them then got so use to them I felt naked not having them took me a while to ween myself from them I'm really glad I had them but they are the doctors so I always try and trust them mine said wear them as long as possible and I am super happy with my results 

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Havalina
on 4/25/12 3:07 am
I wonder why so many doctors have different opionions on this...?
It seems to me compression makes the most sense.
 VSG  Aug 9, 2010 with Dr. Shieh in Fort Myers, FL    
HW 366 Day of Surgery 334
PS: Extended TT, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer to the rear 6/6/2012.

MyLady Heidi
on 4/25/12 4:21 am
Compression helped, I can't imagine not using it, on my tt and my arms and neck.  My arms just needed the extra support because anything touching the scars felt weird.  My friend told me you are addicted to those compression sleeves you need to stop, I finally weened myself off of them.  Same for the compression on my tt, I used it until I felt I didn't need it anymore.  Today I cannot stand anything tight around any part of my tt, it is very sensative, I can't even wear control top stockings.
Most Active