Blood thinners/Clots/PS

Southernsleever
on 5/6/12 12:00 pm
 I had a blood clot in 03 right after shattering my ankle and being in a wheel chair for weeks. I had many risk factors including smoking, being overweight, not able to move my leg, and on birth control. 

When at a consult the PS said he would want to put me on blood thinners again just incase but that it increases the chances for blood to pool, I think he said Seromas. 

Now I don't think I will need the blood thinners unless i'm flying after surgery and I don't want to increase my risks for seromas but I also don't want to die. 

Thoughts?

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/6/12 12:15 pm
Personally, I would do whatever my surgeon recommends.  He's the professional with the experience you are paying for.  You need to trust his judgement.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

PBJ
on 5/6/12 1:51 pm
I totally agree that you need to trust the judgement of your surgeon.  You do not want to risk a clot.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Southernsleever
on 5/6/12 1:58 pm
 Eh, I don't know about the "trusting your surgeon". I've worked in the medical field and they don't always do what's best they do what covers their ass if anything should go wrong. In fact, had I trusted my surgeon with my ankle I'd be dead right now. He kept telling me nothing was wrong until I arrived coughing up blood and unable to breathe. 

Now this guy is being overly cautious but I suppose what I'm wanting is feedback from people who have been on blood thinners with Plastics. What were the negative side effects? It also is on my mind if I choose to go to Dr S and had a bunch of seromas how would i get those taken care of here at home. 

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/6/12 8:44 pm
 I understand what you're saying. I have been an RN for 23 years. In reference to Dr S, I do not advise anyone to go to Mexico for their Plastics if they don't have medical support in their home town. One never knows what could happen and the risk is too great to not have good support in the states. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

NoMore B.
on 5/6/12 11:49 pm
 I can speak about this first hand.  I had chosen Dr S for my plastics.  I had the ticket to Monterrey bought and paid for.

When it came time for my medical clearance, my hematologist threw a fit of epic proportion.  I have several blood disorders that make me pre-disposed to forming a clot.

I ttalked to Dr S about this, and he was willing to work with me, and provide blood thinners.  The problem came that my hematolgist just couldn't get on board with coordinating the care on an international basis, or with me taking a long flight within 30 days from surgery.  I have to say that after sorting it all out, I agreed with her.  I probably could have found another hematolgist here, but after reading about the real risks of clots, it wasn't a risk I wanted to accept.  Dr S was also very honest with me and told me I was risking a lot.  I ended up having my plastics here - and yes, I paid more, but not as much as I would have if I needed to stay 30 days in Mexico and avoid the flight.

For me, I have 5 risk factors, with a big risk of a clot.  Someone with less risk might have more options.

Also, there is something called a Cabrini risk assessment for clots during plastic surgery procedures.  It will help you understand your individual risk, and give you some discussion points with your doctor

www.plasticsurgery.org/Documents/medical-professionals/healt h-policy/key-issues/VTE_Risk_Assessment_and_TF_Recommendatio ns.pdf  

NoMore B.
on 5/6/12 5:23 pm
 Abdominal surgery, especially a tummy tuck or LBL, is a big risk factor for developing a clot.  A clot can be life threatening.  This is something you have to take seriously.  

Just google "tummy tuck" and blood clot, and you'll see.
SisterBigBone
on 5/7/12 12:08 pm - Bronx, NY
I developed clots shortly after having my sleeve done. I'm in the works of getting a BL/BA and my plastic surgeon doesn't want me on blood thinners right before the surgery and right after. My hematologist will probably put me on Lovenox injections for a few weeks post-op before he places me back on the coumadin. I talked to several plastic surgeons, and all of them don't recommend blood thinners right before and right after the surgery unless it's injectables. I hope this helps.

NoMore B.
on 5/7/12 10:47 pm
 Yes, injectables.  That's what I had after my surgeries.  Never before, Lovenox injections afterwards.
Most Active