3 year son and my recovery

Havalina
on 5/6/12 12:51 pm
Calling all moms and dads!! If you had small children when you had PS I need tips!

I have a 7 year old and also a 3 year old! My son is 34 pounds and almost 4. I am having an extended TT, fat transfer to the butt and arm lift. I know that I won't be able to lift him for 6 weeks or more.
My mom will be helping me for the first 2 weeks so my husband does not have to miss a lot of work.

After the first two weeks his mom and sis are gonna take the kids during the day ( I think).After that hubby and I are on our own.

If you had little ones how did you handle it?

Thanks lots!
 VSG  Aug 9, 2010 with Dr. Shieh in Fort Myers, FL    
HW 366 Day of Surgery 334
PS: Extended TT, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer to the rear 6/6/2012.

Pura Vida
on 5/6/12 1:16 pm - Costa Rica
Can't wait for you to get some replies, I have 3 year old twins!
Havalina
on 5/6/12 1:26 pm
oh wow!

Anwing8
on 5/6/12 1:19 pm - Cape May, NJ
I can let you know after Tuesday! lol! I'm having my extended TT this week and I have 4 kids . . . two of which are 3 and 10 months!!! I have a lot of help set up but I'm still nervous about recovery for the same reason you are. Yikes! Hope someone has some BTDT advice on here...

~AMY~
from 308 to 165 `~ 5 years post op and still keeping it off!!
Proud military spouse and Mom to 4 amazing kids!!

Havalina
on 5/6/12 1:25 pm
wow!! Good luck! Please let me know how it goes. I wish you a safe and quick recovery!

godzilla
on 5/6/12 2:46 pm - Israel
I was babysitting half a year later and it was still hard.
Try not lifting/carrying child BUT ask them to gently cling on your lap so you can hang out together on the couch ot to lay near you on your bed to snuggle?
You can still play board/card games/read books.
You don't stop being mommy unless GD Forbid you are still in hospital.
You will find ways to be mommy emotionally.
Mikimi in Israel
j_j_miller
on 5/6/12 3:20 pm
 I don't have kids but does the little one know how to climb into the car and carseat themselves. Maybe practice now if not. I can just imagine being tempted to lift or help them in too soon. I went out of town with my friend and her kids at 3 weeks. I had to have her seven year old carry all my luggage up the stairs. She liked being helpful. It was just hard for me to not be tempted to do normal stuff. I think your 7 year old will be a big help. Wish I had better ideas.

Jennifer
Jmbrown081
on 5/7/12 7:15 am
My daughter just turned 4 on April 30th, and I'm 11 weeks out from and LBL. It honestly worked out a lot better than I imagined it would! The physical aspect of taking care of her was a challange, but shes surprisingly independant, so there was a lot that she could do for herself, and she was even more than wiling to help me out with anything that I needed. She was CONSTANTLY asking if there was anything she could do for me, or if there was anything she could get for me. It got to the point were I had to make up some simple tasks for her to do (pick up and put away the dog toys, bring me a bottle of water, etc), or she would get upset that she wasnt helping. She was so proud of herself every time she did something for me, and it really made her feel like she was really helping!
Some times it was hard for her to understand my limitations, but we found ways to make up for it, and sneak in some special mommy/daughter time doing things that we both enjoyed, like reading her a story, or watching Disney movies together.
I think it'll work out just fine for you, and it sounds like you have a lot of help and support lined up for after post op, so thats bound to make things easier as well!
Havalina
on 5/8/12 2:36 am
Thanks everyone! My little man is a ball of fire =) I think everything will work out ok. Everything is just so scary!

Most Active