arm lift

msnewme
on 5/9/12 7:44 am - Houston, TX

okay everyone - I've read post after post about arm lifts and it seems to be nothing to get excited about. However, I have a tremendous about of bat wing skin to be removed as well as some hanging skin on my forearms. Anyone had tons of skin removed in both places and how long will it take to recover enough to be alone? Hubby is taking off all next week to help me because I am the caregiver for his 97 year old mother. I know I won't be able to care for her on my own that week. Will I need him longer than next week? I don't have to lift her anything. She uses a walker and can dress herself just can't cook etc. by herself.

My surgery is Monday morning and I'm a tad nervous - guess I just need some reassurance this won't be too bad. I'm being realistic about the procedure knowing I'm not going to have skinny arms but maybe I'm won't be ashamed to wear short sleeves when this is over and all the swelling goes away. Also do I need compression garments for my arms and if so how do you know what size to get. I know the doc will send me home in bandages but I hear compression garments help with the shaping and swelling. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Sharon

j_j_miller
on 5/9/12 9:27 am
 Congrats Sharon. How exciting. My surgeon supplied me with a garment so Im not able to help much there. Maybe your surgeon can suggests what size and you can just wear your bandages until your garment arrives.  I'm finding everyone heals differently when it comes to these procedures. But I think you will be good by week 2. If your mother in law can dress, bath ect you should be fine. You can't lift more than 5 pounds for several weeks. So you could always order take out if you need to. I think the only thing I had trouble doing at week 2 was putting my garment back on after I showered. But you can do that in the evening when your husbands home. 

Jennifer
msnewme
on 5/9/12 12:25 pm - Houston, TX

thanks very much Jennifer. I'm very excited to have smaller arms. seems like they have been big all my life. I will do as you suggest and see what the dr. uses and then buy something online if I need an extra one. hubby is great to help me whenever he can so I'm sure he won't mind helping with the compression garment too.

Sharon

wmcconk
on 5/9/12 4:43 pm - Fircrest, WA
Hi Sharon!

I had a brachioplasty on April 11 and I'm sooo happy with the results. My surgeon actually had me use tube socks with the toe cut off for my compression garment! lol! But they worked and they were very comfortable. I had a half pound of skin removed from both of my arms which accounted for three extra inches on my upper arms. (They went from 14 inches to 11 inches.)

I was able to resume my normal routines by day 6-7 but my range of motion is still fairly limited as far as getting my arms completely above my head straight up. Each day gets better though.

My scars look great- just a simple thin line from armpit to elbow. By next year they will be hardly noticeable.

Good luck to you! I'm sure everything will be just fine and you'll love the results!

I lost my weight with Weight Watcher's & Zumba. I've lost 302 lbs. You can visit my weight loss website at www.freewebs.com/infectiouslaughter
I'll be in the Jan. 2012 issue of People Magazine's "Half Their Weight" issue!!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/9/12 9:25 pm
 I bought the www.marenagroup.com sleeves! Worth every penny! They have a sizing chart there on the website! They look great under your clothes and helped tremendously with swelling.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

msnewme
on 5/9/12 10:07 pm - Houston, TX

thanks everyone for your information - I'm really getting excited and can't wait for Monday morning. I hope my arms look as well as you guys describe yours. I'm not worried about the scars at all - having all this hanging skin removed is a welcome trade off. I never thought of measuring my arms before surgery but I will do that today. You guys always make me feel so good when I'm concerned about anything. Thank you very much for caring and making me feel better.

hugs,

Sharon

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/9/12 10:29 pm
 My doctor measured mine. One was 27 inches around (hanging skin) and the other was 29.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Laura in Texas
on 5/10/12 1:59 am
Good for you, Sharon!! I remember your posts from last year. I'm glad you are taking care of you. You will love your new arms. I was feeling pretty good by day 10. By day 17 I went back to work.

Good luck and happy healing!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

msnewme
on 5/10/12 3:18 am - Houston, TX

thanks Laura - it was nice to finally find a doctor that didn't mind helping me with all my extra skin. I'm only 24lbs from goal so I know losing that last 24lbs won't change my arms. Thanks for the good wishes. After hearing from all of you I wish tomorrow was Monday already!!

I do hope my healing will be as good as everyone else. I'll let you guys know when I can type again-lol

hugs,

sharon

msnewme
on 5/10/12 3:25 am - Houston, TX

I just measured my arms, with my best friends help, and the left arm is 23in and the right is 21 so I will really be anxious to find out the measured results now!! yipeee

hugs, 

sharon

Most Active