MA plastic surgeons consult update

scalingback1
on 6/20/12 11:47 am - Mashpee, MA
 Today I had me second ps consult with a Dr in Stoughton. Very different than the one I had Monday. He not only said I need muscle tightening (the first one said I don't ) he found an umbilical hernia!  He wants to do a spiral mastoplexy (they take adjacent tissue from under your arm and fold it into the breast). He does not want to do an implants due to high complication rate from poor skin quality WLS patients tend to have.   Has anyone had problems with their implants because of this?

He would do the body lift in two stages. Extended abdominalplasty followed 3 months later with butt and thigh lift.  My weight was primarily in my lower body and my worst areas are my butt and thighs. He showed me by lifting my skin that I could get a reasonable amount of lift in butt & thighs if he did it as a single stage. He said when you do them together you have to compromise in both the belly and backside.  Although I certainly want the best outcome I don't want to go through an additional surgery, anesthesia, hospitalization and recovery. 

Two more consults next week. One with Dr Colwell at MGH and the other the MGH residency clinic. I am feeling reluctant to use residents for such a complex procedure as a lbl but I plan on keeping an open mind.  So far all I am is increasingly confused!

First goal reached at one year.    
 "What is, is. What will be, is what you make it."  Unknown

JustLookingToo
on 6/20/12 3:32 pm - AL
I've never heard that WLS patients have issues with implants due to poor skin quality. I suppose there are some exceptions, but there are tons of WLS patients who have implants. Maybe Dr. L will happen across this post and comment. He would know, for sure. Good luck with your choice. Once you find the right surgeon, you'll know it.

MrsClaus09
on 6/20/12 9:38 pm
 Thanks so much for sharing!  Good luck with the others...can't wait to hear their thoughts! 
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Laura in Texas
on 6/21/12 3:13 am
Yes, implants can drop due to our skin laxity. Dr. LoMonoco, among others, often does breasts in two stages. Lift first, then implants later to try to prevent issues.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

scalingback1
on 6/21/12 4:33 am - Mashpee, MA
 Thanks Laura!

First goal reached at one year.    
 "What is, is. What will be, is what you make it."  Unknown

kerry D.
on 6/21/12 6:47 am - Cambridge, MA
Can't wait to hear about your others consult as well.    Keep us posted.

It's very hard to find before/afters for plastic surgeons in MA.  The results that I have found on surgeons' websites with private practices have not been very good compared to other parts of the country.
Most Active