three days out drain question

nicole W.
on 6/23/12 2:12 am - Bismarck, ND
 Had surgery tt on Wednesday. They kept me an extra day due to a section of intestine that came through a patch of paper thin fascia and got nicked. I feel great very little pain and moving way better than I expected to be.

My question is about my drains. I ended up with three of them. Two of them have pulled a bit and there is a white tip showing at the skin line. They are still draining although not very much and there is no oozing around them. My next appointment is on thursday. Should I be concerned about the white area showing or is this normal?

2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
ginau
on 6/23/12 3:05 am - mesa, AZ

PLease call your Dr and let him  know.  Better safe than sorry !   But . It sounds like he did not anchor it in.. do you see a stich  ? it should wrap arounf the tube and  and go under the skin and back up and be tied off .   if not your drain could slide right out.

I had my drains in for 3 weeks ... make sure your stripping them..   one od my drains did slide out  in the middle of the night .. the stitch broke...  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

nicole W.
on 6/23/12 4:13 am - Bismarck, ND
 Yes there are stitches in each one they are just pulled a little. They have only been putting out 15-20 every 12 hours. I have stripped them twice since I got home but may give him a call to see what he wants me to do if the white area is the very tip.
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
ginau
on 6/23/12 8:30 am - mesa, AZ

Sounds  good. ! as your tissue shrinks they may try to push oout a little more ...  mine did .

My panni removal  was 3 weeks ago .. my drains came out last week and I sprouted a leak .  better a leak than a Seroma .

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

-VolsDiva-
on 6/23/12 10:52 am - Orange County :), TN
Please call your doctor before you try pushing it back in. 

06/07/12 - Dr. Sauceda LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer and Neck Lift

jeterway
on 6/23/12 7:04 am
 I was told to strip my drains twice a day.  The goal is to prevent t.issue from clotting right behind the skin and clogging the drain.  Hold the drain right near the skin to prevent pulling it out.  The white part is usually at least 5inches long inside the wound.  Try giving it a slight push to get it back in some.  My drains needed to produce less than 30 Ccs in a 24 hour period forat least 2days before they would take them out.   Only one out at a time with at least 2days in between each removal.

nicole W.
on 6/23/12 11:05 am - Bismarck, ND
Thank you for letting me know the white part is longer. I just wanted to make sure that wasnt the actual tip and only a very small part was showing and has since gone back in on their own. I had 50 in one drain when I got home but that has been the highest amount. I will call before Thursday if the amounts stay below 30 through the weekend I dont want them in too long if they arent needed but I also dont want them out too soon.

Anne D.
on 6/24/12 12:08 am
It sounds normal to me. You aren't seeing the tip of the drain tube, it's actually quite long and way inside your body. Don't rush to get the drains out, drains are better than seromas any day! Good luck.

Most Active