bat wings or scars ??

tdjf_3
on 7/2/12 10:09 am
Hey Friends,
 Just have a question for those that have had the surgery what's worse the bat wings or the scars from the surgery.
 My insurance has approved the surgery but of course my mind is spinning on whether or not to go though it. I am having a tummy tuck also but because of excess skin am looking at also having skin removed bilateral so I will end up with an upside down T on my mid-section. Any thoughts on ANY of this is Greatly Appreciated =)

God Bless & Happy Losing!!!!                 
Crazeru
on 7/2/12 10:16 am
Scars are so much better........

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Laura in Texas
on 7/2/12 10:21 am
Scars hands down. My arms are awesome now.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

southernbelle102
on 7/2/12 11:28 am
 Scars any day. Seriously!!!!
***********************************************************************************************
"A year from now you will be glad that you started today"

This quote kept me going throughout my weight loss journey.  It is such a true statement!

I've lost 196 lbs through diet & exercise over the past 1.5 years and I feel amazing!! 

Lee ~
on 7/2/12 11:59 am - CA
 Scars!!!  I had my arms done almost seven months ago.  This is my first summer that I have worn tank tops.  All I have to do is keep sunscreen on them to keep them from going  dark.  that is so much easier than dealing with the shame!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/12 1:34 pm - CA
I'm only a week out but I said then and I still say I'd rather have long ass scars than flappy arms!! I can already see a HUGE difference and I'm still swollen. :)
esullivan04
on 7/2/12 1:37 pm - Lyndhurst, OH
I also had a moment of panic earlier today about the scars I'll have on my arms after surgery on July 26.  I was driving home from work and was resting my elbow on the window sill, and felt that familiar sensation of the excess skin swinging back and forth as my car came to a stop at a red light.  I found myself suddenly staring at it, wishing it was surgery day already and I didn't have to feel that or see it ever again.  Then my mind quickly started racing, remembering that in place of that dreaded skin, I will have scars to hide. 

The moment passed though, after I thought hard about the circumferential abdominal scar I have from my LBL last September.  I used to stare and pull and fixate on all of the extra skin around my midsection.  It made me feel awful, mostly because it was a constant reminder of who I used to be.  They made me think of a girl who never learned how to eat to fuel her body, rather than feed some abstract hunger; a girl who hated her body, had no confidence, and felt completely out of control. 

Now, when I look in the mirror and see the scar across my stomach, I see it like a badge of honor.  My body is still not perfect, and never will be, but I worked hard and EARNED that scar.  It's a sign of the greatest thing I've ever accomplished.  I gained control of myself, learned to eat right when I wanted junk, exercised when I would have rather laid around, and worked two jobs when one was hard enough to keep up with in order to get that scar. 

After considering all of that, I will gladly trade more skin for scars in 3 weeks when the time comes :)
Lee ~
on 7/3/12 1:46 am - CA
 I too expected to be hiding my scars on my arms.  I find that now I'm strolling down the street in a tank and shorts.  My arm and thigh incisions are hanging out for the world to see.  I thought I would be self conscious but the funny thing is that I finally feel normal for the first summer of my adult life.  Nobody has asked me what the scars are from.  By next summer they will be all faded.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Tonya1263
on 7/6/12 4:24 am
Thank you!  I had a LBL, brachioplasty and a mastoplexy on May 11 and my family still keeps asking me why.   I tell them because I have literally worked my butt off and I deserve to be happy with how I look! 
Tonya                
elongreach
on 7/2/12 2:28 pm - Owings Mills, MD
I just finished getting a BA/BL and TT in May and I'm perfect happy having the scars rather than the extra skin. My intention is to get my arms, thighs, and butt done next May or June and I would honestly rather have the scars. I think getting the tummy tuck really emphasize the amount of skin I have on my thighs. I'm wearing spanx now and I bought the ones with the compression on the thighs as well. If it weren't so hot, I would buy some that went down well below the knees to cover all the skin that gets sort of bunched up at the end of the spanx. But hey, that's my off topic rant.
Most Active