Belt lipectomy and medial thigh lift - insurance and complications

Penny V.
on 7/9/12 10:31 pm - Orleans, MA
I'm new to the Plastic Surgery Forum. I am scheduled for a lower body lift with medial thigh lift on August 29. I have asked the doctor to submit to my insurance - I figure it can't hurt even though I doubt it will be covered.

Has anyone had insurance cover any of their surgery? I have Harvard Pilgrim.

Also, what complications have arisen?

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

MissCamp26
on 7/9/12 11:54 pm
Hi Penny,
I am having the same procedures done this coming Friday (yikes!). My insurance initally agreed to cover only the cost of a panniculectomy but they upgraded my coverage to a full abdominalplasty when I pushed them to provide specific criteria for eligibility. They did not cover any portion of the thigh lift, but they are paying for the overnight hospital stay and a portion of my surgeon's fee. It cut my bill from $24,000 to $17,000 and I am VERY grateful for that.

My best advice is to research the eligbility criteria and be prepared to appeal, since they never seem to approve anyone the first time. For my insurance (Blue Cross) I needed to provide documenation of recurring rashes and/or non-healing ulcers.

Good luck,
S
Penny V.
on 7/10/12 12:22 am - Orleans, MA
What was your time frame for insurance to get approved?

Good luck with your surgery on Friday. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

MissCamp26
on 7/10/12 2:30 am
Thanks so much. :)

The first review took 30 days. Once I appealed, it was another week.
Most Active