Went back to work, horrible swelling

nicole W.
on 7/10/12 3:57 am - Bismarck, ND
 I will be three weeks out on Wednesday from a complicated TT. I have been feeling amazingly good and didn't think it should be a big deal to go back to work. Yesterday was my first day back. I was mostly at my desk all day. However, after the first 2 hours, I started having increased swelling and pain from the tightness. By the end of the day, I had gained 4 pounds and looked 5 months pg.

Today, the swelling is getting more. I have taken pain meds and put on the binder (which I haven't worn since I got home). I do have an appointment to meet with my surgeon's partner as he is out of town, but is this fairly normal? What have others done to reduce this swelling. I feel worse today than I did in the weeks immediately after surgery!
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/12 4:39 am - CA
I wish I had advice, I'm only 2 weeks post-op and no TT, but I hope you feel better and get some replies that help!!
nicole W.
on 7/10/12 4:41 am - Bismarck, ND
 Thank you, me too! 
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
Kelly_W
on 7/10/12 5:34 am - Barstow, CA
I really feel for you...and wish I could help.  I had lbl and breast augmentation and lift and went back to work at 2 weeks.  My first week was rough and I was very tired and lots of swelling towards end of day but once I put feet up and relaxed when I got home I would feel better.  I am 4 weeks out now and still get swelling when I am up and at em but not as bad as before.  When do you go to the doctor?  I hope soon.  My doctor also told me to take iburfon and that seemed to help a little.
Good luck
val28
on 7/10/12 5:47 am - amherst, NY
Adjustable Gastric Band on 03/03/08
i had my tt 5/11 and im still wearing the binder. my ps like you to wear at least 6 wks but in my case since my skin was so thin he is rec 12 weeks

godzilla
on 7/10/12 6:54 am - Israel
I've heard of swelling being normal up to several months but I also heard to wear binder 4-6 weeks all day and some decor on their own to continue wearing as they see how they swell when they don't wear it.
I also heard, fluids in help to let fluids out snd limit salty foods.
I am really surprised you went back to work do soon even if a desk job. Is there any way you can change your hours to only half time for your first week and then add your hours gradually?
Mikimi in Israel
nicole W.
on 7/10/12 8:00 am - Bismarck, ND
I saw the other surgeon today. He said that I had an extensive amount of swelling, but didn't notice a significant seroma, so that was good. I found out that I actually had a fairly large what he classified as a hernia that they repaired during this surgery that took a lot of additional work, and that there is not much I can do for the swelling other than what I have been doing. 

I have been drinking huge amounts of water trying to flu**** wearing the binder again, and had to take some meds for pain for the first time in over a week. I feel like my suture lines are going to pop and look about 5 months pregnant. He said that my body thinks I am overdoing it, and that all I can do is take it easy. I am out of vacation and sick time, so I will just have to listen to my body and probably stay home in bed tomorrow until at least some of this swelling subsides. I feel miserable, for the first time since I had surgery. That kind of surprised me. He did mention that I really need to pay attention to my body and still could be at risk of peritonitis from the nicked bowel. Since I had sepsis from my leak, I know what that feels like, so I hope I'd recognize it, but now I am really nervous.

Thanks for the suggestions and support. 

godzilla
on 7/10/12 8:54 am - Israel
So now you are on track and know better what you need to do.
Thank you for your update!
Continued healing!
Mikimi
PBJ
on 7/10/12 9:35 am
So sorry you are going thru this but glad you went to the doc.  YOu really do need to listen to your body...perhaps it is just too soon for you to go back to work.  I wore my binger 24/7 for a few months.  I would do that and drink ton of fluids...and rest alot!!  Take pain meds if you need them..but don't forget your stool softener.

Keep us posted...good luck to you!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Crazeru
on 7/10/12 9:45 am
I wore my garment for 3mo, then every other day for another few weeks.  Once I removed it, I did start swelling and by the end of day look 5-6mo prego... I wear my binder every night, look good in the morning.  I'm 18mo out and still swelling.  Some people draw the swell hell card and others don't.   I live with it.  If I want to look good at night, I'll probably wear my garment during the day, then take it off to go out.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active