4 weeks out pics on profile, still getting used to this

nicole W.
on 7/18/12 10:45 am - Bismarck, ND
 I am four weeks out today. After an unexpected hernia repair ( had a leak and emergency laparotomy following RNY that apparently caused a fist sized hernia that was held in by the fascia and resulted in my intestine being nicked this surgery) I am starting to feel a lot better. I still have swell hell all day everyday, and the incisions are healing and occasionally cause discomfort, but this was so much easier than I expected! 

I wear a binder or compression garment and a dress to work. Since I change from fairly flat to 5 months pregnant looking from swelling by 3pm. This is my second week back to work, and things are going better each day. I still have some stiffness when I stand after sitting at my desk, but I have given several public presentations so far, and had no problem standing through each 1 hour speech. 

I still can't believe the difference in how my back feels, and how my body looks. I am still trying to get used to seeing myself without the skin hanging and can't wait to see the final results when the swelling is finally settled. 
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
JustLookingToo
on 7/18/12 5:27 pm - AL
You look GREAT!! What a difference. I'm six weeks out, and just got rid of the heavy binder, but wearing spanx type stuff to ward of swelling. You really do look great, and I'm glad to hear things are going well for you.

nicole W.
on 7/19/12 1:40 am - Bismarck, ND
 Thank you so much. Good luck with your continued recovery. 

2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
KeepOn
on 7/19/12 1:41 am
Congrats!!!
You look great  and in such a short time after surgery.  It is amazing the instant results.
I can't  wait to have all my excess skin removed.
You mentioned that your back feels better. The only thing that I have problems with,due to the excess skin, is lower back problems. It sure would be nice to have some relief of back pain.

Question for you: You had a vertical as well as horizontal incision, I have gone to 3 PS consults and one of the 3 recommended the vertical. What was the reason your surgeon gave for this?
nicole W.
on 7/19/12 1:49 am - Bismarck, ND
 I had an emergency laparotomy that had a huge scar on it that he was revising. It was planned, but when he got in there and started working, I had a fist sized hernia that we were unaware of, so he needed the extra room to repair that, and then had to tighten the muscles from the bottom up. So either way I would have needed it.

The back pain was the only reason I did the surgery. It has been chronic for 3 years now and nothing had helped it. Now, I am almost pain free in my back. Insurance covered the lower panniculectomy due to the back pain, which was a bonus. 
Michele816
on 7/19/12 7:36 am
You look great!!!!!
Thank you so much for  being brave enough to post your pics. On a more personal note, thank you for the side view.  Seeing how you look 4 weeks out is very reassuring for me.  I had a mons lift/reduction and a revision to my tummy tuck at the end of June (nothing was wrong with the tummy tuck done is January. There was just so much skin to remove that it had to be done in 2 steps) and I have been very down because i still have this round abdomen.  The doc said it was swelling and I get that, but it is depressing to see so many others with "immediate" flat tummies and mine isn't yet.   The weird thing is I am down a couple of pounds since the surgery, yet my clothes are tighter and I look heavier through my abdomen.  It makes me wonder what my weight will be when the swelling finally subsides.  Anyway, it helps to know that someone is experiencing similar results at this point and it helps to put my head in a better place.

Most Active