Surgeon suggests Motrin & you've had RNY -- what do you do?

feistyemm
on 8/17/12 5:04 am - Westchester, NY
 I had implants and upper body lift 9 days ago -- I'm quite swollen and yesterday surgeon said he wants me to take Motrin. I told him I can't because of the gastric bypass. I haven't touched aspirin or ibuprofen since 2005, when I had my RNY.

Has anyone taken Motrin for a short period of time with no problems after plastics?

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm
Surgery Date: 4/21/2005; HW: 333/ SW: 271/ CW:133/ GOAL: 150 or UNDER

Highest BMI: 54.7; BMI Now: 22.6 -- Jeans before surgery: 32. Now: 6
PS: 2006/7 LBL, Bracheoplasty & Upper Thigh Lift. 8/2012: UBackLift & Breast Implants
(redone 3 times). 7/17/18: vertical thigh lift (needs to be redone - left too much skin) &
replacement of 1 breast implant due to rupture (still needs to be fixed due to placement).

Patricia R.
on 8/17/12 12:36 pm - New Oxford, PA
I have taken different kinds of anti-inflammatory drugs since my RNY.  This would include ibuprofen, celebrex and diclofenac.  I have taken them short term (a month or less) and also for a period of about 6 months. I took them everyday and depending on what kind I was taking at the time, sometimes several tabs a day.   I never had any issues.  I took Ibuprofen for about a week after my plastics. 

If you feel uncomfortable about it, be sure to check with your RNY surgeon.   
feistyemm
on 8/17/12 10:57 pm - Westchester, NY
Thank you for your response.  Did you speak to your RNY surgeon and get the ok to take them short term? I just remember being told not to ever take them. I'm wondering if once in a while it is relatively safe.  I'd love to get this swelling down...

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm
Surgery Date: 4/21/2005; HW: 333/ SW: 271/ CW:133/ GOAL: 150 or UNDER

Highest BMI: 54.7; BMI Now: 22.6 -- Jeans before surgery: 32. Now: 6
PS: 2006/7 LBL, Bracheoplasty & Upper Thigh Lift. 8/2012: UBackLift & Breast Implants
(redone 3 times). 7/17/18: vertical thigh lift (needs to be redone - left too much skin) &
replacement of 1 breast implant due to rupture (still needs to be fixed due to placement).

Patricia R.
on 8/18/12 4:05 am - New Oxford, PA
I don't remember being told not to take them by my RNY doc so I didn't think it was an issue.  I heard about this later but already took the meds so I didn't think it was an issue.  When I took them, they were prescribed by family doc, orthopedic doc and lastly plastic surgeon told me to take Ibuprofen.  So none included my RNY doc.  From what I read on the internet, it puts you at higher risk for ulcers.  Anti-inflammatories put you at risk before WLS as well but since your anatomy is changed, you are at higher risk.  There's risk with everything.  And well I didn't take it for the swelling, I took it for the soreness in my arms.  This was about 2-3 weeks after ps and the pain pills were too much.  When I had my arm lift, I was sore all the way down to my wrist even though the cut didn't go past my elbow.  The ibuprofen didn't do much for it.  I had issues reaching for stuff until about 6 weeks post op.  The pain was not from the incision but from my elbow down to the wrist.  She said it was the muscles, tendons, etc, all healing back over. 
bamabelle16
on 8/17/12 12:41 pm
I take extra strength Tylenol.
Highest Weight: 265 lbs Pre-Op Weight: 249 lbs Surgery Weight: 238 lbs Current Weight: 124 lbs
Kim S.
on 8/20/12 1:14 pm - Helena, AL
Check with your WLS.

Mine allows NSAIDS for limited (6 mo or less) as long as Nexium is taken with it.

Most Active