How long did you stay in the hospital after lbl?

Penny V.
on 8/20/12 7:24 am - Orleans, MA
My surgeon says I will stay overnight. Isn't this awfully quick after such an extensive surgery? I am also having a medial thigh lift.

Also, how did you handle the ride home form the hospital. I have a bout 20 minles to travel and am nervous about pain. 

I know all will be well but getting a little nervous. August 29 is approaching quickly.

sharonleanne
on 8/20/12 7:37 am
I worry about the pain and the car ride home. I'm at least 2.5 hours away (maybe more depending on traffic) . My game plan is to make sure the nurse gives me my last dose of meds right before I leave, and pray for light traffic.
scalingback1
on 8/20/12 8:33 am - Mashpee, MA
 I am staying one night also.  I worry about the pain it too and hope to be well medicated for the ride.  Boston traffic could make the ride home way too long.  45 minutes if I'm lucky.  I plan on having several pillows in the car to tuck where I need them.

First goal reached at one year.    
 "What is, is. What will be, is what you make it."  Unknown

sonnieN
on 8/20/12 12:09 pm - grand rapids, MI
I was supposed to stay overnight but ended up saying a second night due my Dr being concerned about my pain level and then passing out when I tried to walk. I don't remember any pain on the ride home but then my ride was about 10 min at the most. Also my mom is a very cautious driver so she goes very slowand avoided the bad bumpy roads.
Angela S.
on 8/20/12 12:32 pm
I went home the same day. It wasn't bad, had my mom to take care of me. 

camarofanatic90
on 8/20/12 12:53 pm - Pampa, TX
 i hope that everything goes, I too worry about the ride home if this ever happens our truck is lifted, worry about getting in and out

Kim S.
on 8/20/12 1:12 pm - Helena, AL

My LBL is Nov 9th and I'll be overnight at the hotel next to the surgery center...than home.  My ride is about 30 minutes.

I've been told to get someone with a vehicle that sits high up (think SUV) and have several pillows....and of course medicate before you leave.....

Good luck--I'm scared but ready!

sonnieN
on 8/22/12 6:52 am - grand rapids, MI
Personally for me an SUV was not the best but I'm on the shorter side (5'3"). My mom drove me home in just a sedan and that was perfect to get in and out of. A couple weeks out a friend came to pick me up for dinner and a movie and she has an SUV and it was difficult to get in and out of it. Guess it depends on how tall you are if it would be a good thing and how big the SUV is. I'd rather have to sit down rather than have to climb up after having that surgery. Also seemed easier for people to help you when assisting you in sitting down and pulling you up that pushing you upward.
Penny V.
on 8/20/12 2:01 pm - Orleans, MA
Sounds like most people are overnight. Same day is more than scary to me even if you are in a hotel next door.

I plan on having my pillows and didn't even think about the higher vehicle. We have a Saab convertible and a Prius. Although I would love the fresh air in the convertible, getting out could be a real issue so I think I will go with the Prius.

Kim S.
on 8/21/12 6:42 am - Helena, AL
I hear ya!  We have an Audi convertible and a Dodge Charger.....a friend of mine has a nice, high SUV.....we will borrow that vehicle for sure!

My doctor does rounds at the hotel, and will have someone on call should we need anything that first night.  A friend of mine is an OR tech in the PS field, so she has seen many cases like mine and will stay with my DH to care for me that first weekend.

I'm just praying that I heal quickly from this just like I have from other surgeries.  I have a very high pain tolerance, and I do heal super fast, so lets hope that record continues!

Best to you!

Most Active