New on this forum and need suggestions,,thanks

carmen3823
on 12/7/12 7:45 am - Chicago, IL

Hello everyone, I am 3 yrs out of DS surgery and I am now thinking of PS.  Has anyone had their surgery covered by the BC/BS insurance?  Where should I start?

Carmen M.

Crazeru
on 12/7/12 9:07 am

None of mine was covered.  I was self-pay and went to Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico.  I'll be going back to finish up with an upper body lift in Jan.  We have a fairly active group here on OH, you can click on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line and it'll take you over to our group.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Angela B.
on 12/7/12 9:57 am

I have a Federal BC/BS PPO and they covered a portion of my lower body lift (the panniculectomy).  The first place to start is with your insurance company.  See if any of the procedures you are interested in are a covered benefit, and find out what the criteria is for being considered medically necessary.  It can vary by employer and location.

If you do have some procedures covered as a benefit, then find a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with post-bariatric patients and is covered by your insurance.  With my insurance plan, I can only use my benefits with doctors in network.  If I went out of network, I get nothing, depends on your plan.  You will most likely need either your primary care doctor or your plastic surgeon to submit a letter to your insurance company demonstrating that you meet the criteria for medical necessity. 

Hope that is enough to get you started.  Good luck!

Brooke F.
on 12/7/12 10:33 am - CA
My abdominoplasty (with muscle tightening and belly button included) was completely covered by BC/BS doc sent in the request, I was approved and went forward with my surgery a few weeks later
BrendaNNC
on 12/7/12 11:09 pm - Raleigh, NC

How did  you get BCBS to approve your Plastic Surgery?

Brooke F.
on 12/9/12 11:30 am - CA
Like the other poster, I've also got Empire BC/BS....
The surgeon submitted the paperwork for me after my consult and I was approved shortly afterwards and had surgery when the time worked for me....I think it was like 6 weeks after my consult or so.
pamkb
on 12/7/12 10:36 am - Crestview, FL

I have BCBS FL and they wouldn't touch mine but I had no documentation of skin rash or skin yeast infection from skin overhang.  I believe that would have made a difference if I had had issues.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

Lesley G.
on 12/7/12 11:50 pm, edited 12/9/12 12:07 pm - Allegan, MI

It depends on which BC/BS you have and which plan. I have Empire and they paid 100% for my panniculectomy / TT with muscle tightening, and now in January they're paying 100% for arm lift, thigh lift, and breast reduction. 

I recommend starting with the insurance company's website, and doing searches for the different procedures, so you can see what their policies are.

carmen3823
on 12/8/12 12:01 am - Chicago, IL

Thank you so much for the information everyone!!

Carmen M.

Most Active