My insurance will cover a Infraumbilical panniculectomy and my surgeon also wants me to get...

buddy123
on 12/8/12 7:32 am

I went in for a consult with plastic surgeon.  She suggested the lower panni and TT.  My ins will cover the panni.  I am still back and forth weather to do this or not?  I am scared to go through another surgery again.  I had a back fusion last Nov and am 2 years our from my RNY.    I keep telling myself that I look good enough.  Then I look at tight fitting clothes and can see my tummy roll in them.  I think the thing that is holding me back the most is the drainage bags.  I am so squeamish.  Any thoughts?  I need the push I guess that it is not so bad.  My neighbor had a TT and told me it was the worst thing in the world, but she has never had any other surgery before.  I have had my gallbladder removed, c-section, RNY, Back fusion so I have been through some things.  Also is it worth it to get the Panni without the tt?  Thanks all for reading my rambleing.

jmelyn1977
on 12/8/12 8:59 am
Hello there.

Well last week Wednesday I had the anchor cut tummy tuck. I have 2 drains. One coming out of each hip. I was in the hospital for 3 days - was suppose to be 2 but on Thursday I started bleeding internally from a broken vessel in my stomach and had to go back under. OTHERWISE - this surgery is a breeze in comparison to my RNY. I have virtually no pain. I can't stand up straight to walk so that takes a toll on my back - but other than avoiding laughing, coughing and sneezing - not bad at all. I only took pain meds in the hospital and then I just take them at night to sleep.
I would do this surgery over and over again. I'm a little swollenn and I STILL love my new tummy.

Good luck to you!!!
Jamie

acbbrown
on 12/8/12 9:50 am - Granada Hills, CA

I just had my arms, BL/.BA, a lower body lift with an anchor cut, and my thighs done. I am 3 weeks out - and the recovery has been a breeze. Other than the first 2 days, I didnt even need any narcotic pain meds (just took tramadol for about 12 days). I am super squeamish, but I managed having 7 drains and didnt die. It's weird, but after a day or two with them, you get used to it. 

I'd recommend doing the full TT if you can - i think it's definitely worth it to get the muscle repair done. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Laura in Texas
on 12/9/12 10:31 am

Pretty sure you'll need drains whether or not you upgrade to a full abdominoplasty. If it were me, I'd do the muscle tightening. It won't be much worse as far as pain goes and I'd want to best results possible.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kim S.
on 12/9/12 11:18 pm - Helena, AL

For me, I wouldn't undergo this surgery without the muscle tightening.  If you are going under, might as well get the full benefit.  I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from LBL and BL and have to say that while the drains weren't my favorite, it wasn't anything too horrible.  I am so glad I did this!

evilelf
on 12/11/12 9:24 am

I had the panni 3 weeks ago, and the drainage bags were the least of the problem. I have also had a couple of surgeries in my past (2 c-sections,gallbladder,appendix,hysterectomy and sleeve) but this was probably the worst for me. I won't say that I regret it, but this on has been hard on me. I have Kaiser in so cal and they covered the panni, but would not do the tt. I would have done both if I could have. Good luck on your choice.

H.W 270 S.W 252 C.W 195 G.W 170

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/31/12 6:29 am - OH

I had drains with my panniculectomy but did to have any with my tummy tuck (which was done separately).  I thought I would be satisfied with just the panni removal, and didn't want to spend $7K for the tummy tuck, but once I had a lower stomach that was very flat, it made the excess skin above my waist look terrible in comparison.  I also looked weird in clothes with skin "muffin top" but a flat pelvic area.

There IS a third option, but most surgeons don't offer it unless you ask about it.  You can have just skin removal from above your navel without getting the muscle tightened in a full tummy tuck.  It is much less expensive than a full tummy tuck.  If I had known that was an option, I would have done that at the time of my panniculectomy in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, I didn't know.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active