I think that I beat this post-op constipation thing....

SweetLilyAnn
on 12/14/12 12:39 pm - TX

On Tuesday I had my arm lift and abdominal lipo.   I am doing well and am pleased with the results.  After my first surgery  5 weeks ago I had a HORRIBLE case of constipation and going into this second surgery, I think that I have conquered this issue.  This is what I did..I wanted to share.

I continued to take my 2 colace daily while in the hospital.  (note: I stayed in the hospital 2 days - an extra day by choice as I am single and felt that I needed the extra help.)

In my first hospital stay, I think that is where I made my biggest mistake.....

During the hospital stay, I maintained my bariatric rules.  I held off drinking for an hour after eating and stopped 30 mins before eating.  All of this was, complicated by being on drugs and I would fall asleep and forget to drink.

I continued to take Colace.

Then, when I got home I STILL implemented bariatric rules and only taking colace and THEN disaster struck.  I became so constipated that I was one step away from going to the hospital.  Finally, after several miserable days and horrible moments I began taking  Ducolax a few days later it kicked in and I felt so much better.

So I did things totally different this time trying to not repeat my mistakes.....and had a great result.  

I hydrated BIG TIME before the surgery, took Colace midnight before the surgery and everyday thereafter.  I threw the bariatric rules out of the window for my recovery process. 

I ate and drank simultaneously to gain nutrition and remained hydrated.  I made sure that the IV stayed in as long as possible and that I drank as much as possible even leaving the hospital with a glass of water in my hand.

When I got home I started taking Ducolax everyday.  I got out of the hospital Wednesday and today is Friday and today the Ducolax kicked in and I had blessed relief.  I was starting to get uncomfortable but that ended today.  Thank Goodness.

I just thought that I would share how I fought and beat Constipation.  AWESOME!!!!!

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

SweetLilyAnn
on 12/14/12 1:07 pm - TX

Oh yes, I forgot....and I ate a ton of vegetables this time...

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

aphephobicfriend
on 12/14/12 1:08 pm - Ocala, FL

God I feel ya! props for the hydration, glad it helped. I've been taking fiber pills and taking stool softeners everyday and then if I go a day without a BM, I resort to suppositories. I have NEVER had issues like this, but man, it demands to be taken seriously. so glad you found what worked for you.

As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
cleos_mom
on 12/15/12 12:53 pm - phila., PA
Stay hydrated. Percocet will constipated you
Most Active