Panniculectomy

furiosmommy
on 1/22/13 8:19 am - Phoenix, AZ

I'm wondering if anyone out there got a straight panniculectomy and is totally happy with it? I know that most pay the excess to get a full TT if insurance covers the panni. Unfortunately, paying the extra isn't an option for me. I'm not approved yet, but working on it. My PS went over all the info with me and feels I'll have good results because my upper tummy is relatively flat. She said legally when she is doing an insurance approved panni she can only remove the excess skin from the stomach down to my c-section scar (or where there would be one if you haven't had a c-section). She said she's not allowed to give me a new belly button so it'll relocate my belly button a little further down. If anyone has had just a panni and can share pictures I would sure appreciate it! It's so hard to find, because most go straight for the TT or LBL. I wish I could afford that option. I don't get so many rashes, but the weight and just the skin being there is really throwing off my workouts and self esteem. 

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

Tasha B.
on 1/23/13 1:29 am - Philadelphia, PA

I will answer. I would suggest that you save up and get the full TT.

I had just a panni removal and the top part is more prevalent now.

I wish my dr gave me the option of paying the difference, but he didn't.

Now I'm looking into the corsettrunkplasty to take care of the back fat and upper muffin top.

furiosmommy
on 1/23/13 3:14 am - Phoenix, AZ

Thank you for your response. That's what I'm worried about. If I had the $$ I'd go straight for a lower body lift. I'm trying to decide if I can live with just a panni until I can afford to do more. 

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

Tasha B.
on 1/23/13 4:43 am - Philadelphia, PA

I would say live with it until you can afford to upgrade because it would be less out of pocket getting the full TT with the panni removal. If you do the panni now and TT later, you will be paying the full surgeon and hospital fee.

Like I said, i wish my dr gave me that option, but I had mine done in 2003 and just getting around to getting the corset trunkplasty, so I can feel good in my own skin.

samsander
on 1/31/13 3:22 pm - CA
But what if I work out like lunatic (I do) and I have tons of muscles but just need the extra skin removed ?

Appreciate your answer.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Iam_with_the_Band
on 1/31/13 5:05 pm

It really depends on if you have a hernia or not.  Many of us who were obese have small hernias.  We can work out as hard as we want, but our muscles will not tighten as much as they should.  I would discuss it with your doctor and see what he/she says.  Also the panniculectomy only removes the skin of the panni, some do not pull anything down.  It really depends on your surgeon and what he/she will do.  Some look very nice, others look very deformed.  I would ask to see pictures of panniculectomies only and not his/her TT results.  There can be a big difference between the two.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 1/31/13 5:09 pm

Will she be raising your Mons Pubis?  This is extremely important.  If you have the panniculectomy and the Mons is not raised, it hangs down between your legs and looks like a scrotum.  I have a friend who had a panniculectomy and they didn't not raise her Mons.  She wears spanx everyday now to keep it up - or it does look like she has a scrotum in her pants.

Please discuss this with your surgeon.  Not something to ignore.  My friend assumed her's would be raised, it wasn't because the doctor said it would be $3K extra and he didn't bother asking if she wanted it.  He assumed if she did, she would have asked.  Poor communication on both ends and my friend ended up with a horrible result!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active